Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

2022-11-08 - Jupiter first color sketch

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Nebula, Nov 10, 2022.

2022-11-08 - Jupiter first color sketch

Started by Nebula on Nov 10, 2022 at 5:57 PM

8 Replies 752 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I drew my first color sketch at the eyepiece during a pleasant Jupiter observation.
    :eek:

[​IMG]

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice work, Neb. Congratulations on your first color sketch! You got the GRS and a moon shadow transit. Bravo!

3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 I am very happy with that unexpected evolution, caused by @Ed D and his color sketches. :) The GRS is interesting in 2022, there is a dark spot visible in it and a pale spot too. This could be because of the bigger mirror also, to me it's a different GRS then the previous years.

Did any of you guys noticed anything different with the GRS this year?

Ed D and Orion25 like this.
  4. Orion25

I haven't been watching the GRS closely this year (I think I'll start now because of your observation). It is striking how it has shrunk over the years :eek:

Nebula likes this.
  5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Neb, for the decade plus that I have been observing/sketching/imaging Jove I have noticed the GRS change in intensity, color, size, and the spot in the center grow and recede, as well as disappear. I looked at my sketches going back to 2011, as well as my images through the last one this year, and it amazes me just how much Jupiter changes, even through one aparition.

While I haven't been able to observe and image as I would have liked this apparition, I'm certain your observations about the GRS appearing different are spot-on (pun intended!). BTW, great job on the sketch.

Ed

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  6. Orion25

Ed, I would love to see some of your Jove GRS sketches over the years. Could you post some of them?

Ed D likes this.
  7. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I will get them together, size them and put something together. Just need a little time.

I will make a new thread, probably titled something like "Jove over the years".

Ed

Orion25 likes this.
  8. Orion25

That would be wonderful :)

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. As my observation skill improves after.. 6 or even 7 years already... wow. It's just now that I really take good care to log things carefully on my sketches (as best as I can).. I also want to build a collection of Jupiter sketch over the years, clearly!

Next time, I will use even more power on the GRS it's barlow time! (Xcel Lx 2x)

@Orion25 I noticed about the overall size of the GRS. This year, I find the redhead part of it, it looks smaller then previously.
    @Ed D Thanks, I am interested also to see your collection of Jupiter sketches over the years. This will be interesting.

Orion25 likes this.