Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Jupiter and Mars 11/29/2022

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Nov 30, 2022.

Jupiter and Mars 11/29/2022

Started by Ed D on Nov 30, 2022 at 6:41 PM

21 Replies 1161 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Last night I set up my 6" Mak and took 7 captures total: 4 for Jupiter and 3 for Mars.

JUPITER: The first three captures were done using a plain UV/IR Cut filter. They didn't turn out very well, mainly because of the hideous colors from the heavy LP. The fourth capture was done using my Baader Neodymium filter. Although much better, it was still a challenge processing the data. The atmosphere was very unsteady and the video looked like shimmering Jello. With a lot of patience and a lot of tweaking I came up with an acceptable image. Detail is much better with the 6" Mak compared to the TV-85.

2022 11-29 Jupiter.jpg
    Jupiter - 11/29/2022

MARS: I'm really having issues imaging Mars. A big one is that during the times I am able to image the planet is still low enough to be severely affected by the radiating heat. I'm also having a problem with the severe LP and the effects it has on the colors, especially blue hues. I know I captured the polar cap and the Hellas Basin, but the whites just aren't showing up as well as I would like. It does look better and more detailed compared to my 11/26 image taken with the TV-85.

2022 11-29 Mars.jpg
    Mars - 11/29/2022

Ed D

Nebula, Mak the Night and Orion25 like this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice work, especially considering the conditions. I can see some good detail there ;)

Ed D likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Nice pictures Ed. Syrtis Major is great.

Orion25 and Ed D like this.
  4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Very nice pictures ED D, wow. You've got a nice thick NEB on Jupiter with 1 large white storm and 3 small white storms. I have never seen these elements visually.

And Mars wow, you have plenty of details again, that shot is a keeper in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing these.

Orion25 and Ed D like this.
  5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the positive comments. My 6" Mak has been my favorite lunar and planetary imaging scope for years, as well as for visual before getting into imaging.

Ed

Orion25 likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

You really know how to get the most out of it. amazing results with the 6" mak.

Jupiter looked quite similar tonight as your picture, same face, I saw a glimpse of the these ovals in the NEB, just as your picture, not steady visually but they were there ((;

Your picture was useful I knew where to look and what to look for.

Mak the Night, Ed D and Orion25 like this.
  7. Mak the Night

A 6" Mak is a pretty powerful instrument. You don't see many these days. After 7" SCT's are more usual.

Ed D and Orion25 like this.
  8. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Not only are 6" Maks great planetary instruments, but also 6" f/8 and longer Dobs. These 6" instruments are easy to handle. A 7" Mak like the one Reggie uses is about what I consider the limit of practicality. For planets and the moon these instruments can't be beat.

Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  9. Mak the Night

[​IMG]

6" GSO Newt'. Admittedly on an EQ5.

Nebula, Ed D and Orion25 like this.
  10. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice planetary setup. Your EQ5 mount looks like the twin of my Celestron CG4. I believe they are actually the same mount, just that the EQ5 came with an RA motor. I bought my CG4 when they were first upgraded to the larger diameter legs and ball bearings. It's been a great mount for many years.

Mak the Night likes this.
  11. Mak the Night

Thanks Ed, it doesn't do too badly. That extra inch is useful, especially on planets moving away from opposition and getting smaller. I'm pretty sure they are identical mounts. There was provision for a motor but I removed it when I bought it. I actually bought the Sky-Watcher first, for a different scope. The GSO OTA (branded as TS Optics) is f/6 and only cost 250 quid (300 USD?), I thought it was a bargain.

ota.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    Ed D and Nebula like this.
  12. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

My EQ5 is waiting for me outside right now.. I am going to observe mars tonight with my 8", my orthoscopics Fujiyamas and the tracking provided by the EQ5.

That setup is much easier on my back..
    :)

Orion25 likes this.
  13. Orion25

Go for it, buddy! And do watch your back!

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 Ah with the EQ5 and the 8" Newtonian my back is 100% safe. I gained noticeable strength already by moving the 12" in the stairs.

Moving the 8" is suddenly MUCH easier. ((; It's a very good sketching setup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    Ed D, Mak the Night and Orion25 like this.
  15. Orion25

Sweeeeeeeeeet! Nice setup, Neb. I look forward to your observing report :)

Nebula likes this.
  16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Heheh it was fun, with the 8" I am always tempted to look at the stars and I want to go ahead with a deep star observation soon. I don't feel the same need of "more aperture" for star observation and it's really different then planetary. Lately it was all about the planets and much less stars and DSOs,

Now as we are moving away form Mars and Jupiter.. well it's time for me to seek new observing horizon.. Getting ready for that.

My report is kind of very small in my "Mars and Orion Nebula " new thread, it was a pleasant short observation. ((;

Orion25 likes this.
  17. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

@ Nebula, I thought it was bordering on cold last night down here until I saw your post #14 pic. :)

18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Ed D Ah yeah but it's was a hot winter day on pic #14, 0 Celsius with no wind at all. It was relatively easy to manage with the right clothing.

My pair of boots is -30 celsius, at around -15, I have some foot warmers so it's basically use the same pair of boots. I have 3 coats, at 0 celsius I used my fall coat, down to -10 I use my regular winter parka and bellow that, it's my heavy duty parka.

My snow pants are due for an upgrade, they are not warm enough bellow -10.

During these cold temperatures, the atmospheric conditions are often very good. I like winter observations.

19. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I wish we would get a cold spell down here. A HUGE problem I'm having observing and imaging is the heat and the very high humidity. Last night I was trying to image Mars to hopefully catch Olympus Mons, etc. The sky looked clear, but the image on the laptop was a shimmering blob, ditto for visual. I did get one passable image out of eight, pending final processing and posting, but nowhere near what I had hoped for. Even imaging in 695nm IR Pass isn't getting me results. Right now I'm having better luck solar imaging with my DSLR.

20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Ed D ah these things happen. I felt lucky with my medium conditions from the last weeks, nothing pristine but medium, ok. better then poor or nothing at all! :)

Eventually your luck will come back with the conditions. It's really like a dynamic cycle of things to do, now it's time for the sun.

Mak would probably recommend to investigate the Jetstream.