Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Binoculars decision

Discussion in 'All Other Observing Equipment' started by Leonard, Apr 6, 2019.

Binoculars decision

Started by Leonard on Apr 6, 2019 at 8:54 AM

9 Replies 8572 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Leonard

Leonard Well-Known Member

I recently discovered I needed new binoculars.

My Celestron Nature 10x50, which I have had for appx 9 years, performed very well and in fact did an excellent job for astronomy purposes. Their cost was reasonable (under $100), they were nitrogen purged, had BK4 lens, and were fully MC.

However with use there were some issues: Focussing was not smooth and often threw the views out of culminations, and they were not durable. One minor bump and there was a problem. However, until recently they served me well. Then, I noticed some problems with the views that I found were not economically repairable. .

For my new binocs, preferable 10 x 50, I would have an limit of $100 US. So, I spent a week comparing various binocs by Coatings, BK, durability, until I narrowed brands to just a few. I like a Bushnell Legacy 10 x 5o for $96, a Nikon for $99, a Cannon for $99 a Simmons Pro for $68, and several Celestrons. And there were more. All had similar specs. It was difficult to find glaring differences. So, I checked in-depended reviews.

Finally I went with Orion’ Scienex 10 x 50. I went with them because in almost all reviews and comments to the good they are mentioned. Not always on top, but always mentioned as good astronomy binocs. And that has been ongoing for years. There might be better, but I’m pretty sure these are a safe bet.

So any rate they arrive next Wednesday and I’ll soon see.

Later
    Lenny.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

They're probably all made in the same factory anyway lol.

3. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Be sure to give us a report :cool:

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I have also read many good reviews about Orion binoculars. Like you said, not the very best, but a good bang for the buck. Looking forward to reading your report on them.

Ed

5. Leonard

Hi:

Yes, if only we can some decent weather. It’s been pretty nasty.

6. Leonard

They are supposed to be here tomorrow.

7. Leonard

The Orion scenix binocular came today.

As everyone knows, first impressions are important. The binocs were nicely packed and appeared to be properly protected for transport.

I did some quick comparison between the Orion scenix and the Celestron Nature. Both are 10x50. The major problem with the Nature was slight double vision, a culmination problem. However, I was able to fix that problem by unscrewing the housing that contains the large field lens. For whatever reason, the threads were dirty. So, I cleaned them and carefully screwed them in place. I hope this fix is permanent. In the past, various fixes were temporary.

The comparison test took place on a nice sunny afternoon.

The Orion binocs are much lighter, and smaller, which makes them easier to handle. The Nature was noticeable longer. The Orion also appeared to have a slightly wider FOV.

Focusing was lighter with the Nature, while the Orion was smoother. There was little difference in the image on axis as both did a great job. The Diopter adjustment was much stiffer with the Nature.

Well that’s about it for now.

STaNik and Scopejunkie like this.
  8. Creb

Creb New Member

I got the 10x50 Orion Ultimas many years ago. Still my go-to pair for almost anything.

9. STaNik

STaNik New Member

+1 for Orion binocs.
    I have Resolux 15x70, and they are doing great.

Sharp, good contrast, flat field, well collimated, limited diffraction. Exit diameter is good for most situations at 4.7mm, but I prefer the 10.5 x 70 version which has 6.8mm for true dark sites. This unit has solid fit and finish, solid construction, a good case (better than most in the range), eye cups are nice, adjustment of pupillary distance and focus on each eye are solid and don't adjust accidentally - but adjust smoothly when needed. Tripod Mount is metal, solid... and functions well, although not placed at the balance point of the unit. You will need a very solid tripod and mount for this. I use a Gitzo 5 series tripod an an old geared Majestic video head unit which is rock solid. Rubber lens caps are ok, good on the eye-side, not as good on the objective side... they sometimes slip out... press fit or screw ins would be preferable. Neck strap is cheap, if you do need one... there are many better options at B&H.
    These are quite heavy... would prefer seeing the bar mount found on the 20x80 and 25x100 also on this model. I did enjoy handholding while reclined on an air mattress. Edges of the eyecups can chafe a bit... perhaps more anatomical/tactical cups are available. That said, handholding was not difficult when looking near vertical.., but is quite hard at less than 60 degrees without elbow support.
    https://wildproofgear.com/best-binoculars-for-stargazing/
    Sure, you can find much more affordable and lightweight binocs, but their pros overwhelm their cons.

10. PXR-5

PXR-5 Well-Known Member

The Orion Mini Giants are real nice :)
    I have the 9x63 and the 15×63, both happen to be made in Japan.