Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

2022-10-24 - Very best observation of Mars so far

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Nebula, Oct 25, 2022.

2022-10-24 - Very best observation of Mars so far

Started by Nebula on Oct 25, 2022 at 4:35 PM

4 Replies 700 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

2022 is really a year that I will remember as a good one for stargazing. Last night I woke up at 2:30 for no apparent reasons as I am programming my body to wake up during the night to watch events like Mars? Psychological conditioning, it's working.

Anyway I could NOT let go such an opportunity to look at mars, I took out the RLT to sketch a bit. (My day of work was not that bad, surprisingly) there was smog outside also, surprising that the transparency was medium and not bad.

This is my very best observation of Mars in 2022 with 2 different filters, same scope, same power.

[​IMG]

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice sketches, Neb. I have the Celestron and Orion Mars filters. I never thought about trying it on the Orion Nebula! Thanks for the idea! With Mars, I find the Orion filter to have more of a deeper hue than the Celestron; both highlight Martian detail by providing more contrast. The magenta color is more subtle with the Celestron and to me preferable.

Nebula likes this.
  3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 I was very surprised by the result on the nebula. I am highly satisfied with my Celestron filter so far, it's really a good quality filter. ((; Never tried the Orion version.

You should check out the Lumicon 82a if you can someday, on Jupiter, it's VERY good. When the atmosphere stabilize and the telescope is at the right temperature. wow..

Orion25 likes this.
  4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I have the GSO #82A and noticed how well it works on Jupiter in the past. I haven't used it lately. I must take it out!

Nebula likes this.
  5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 I encourage you to try it again if you have it. I noticed how good that color was using GSO 82a and @Mak the Night talked about his own Lumicon with Hoya glass and how good it is.

So I ordered one and it's very impressive I have a new log in a new thread and a new sketch of jupiter from 2022-10-27.

See the difference between the two 82a filters, Lumicon "very light blue" but it's visible at the eyepiece and in another angle then the picture. The glass is much much better then the GSO, there is not even a comparison possible.

However the build quality of my GSO is better then the Lumicon, mine probably has a defect, it's under investigation.

[​IMG]

Orion25 likes this.