Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

A Bit Crazy Perhaps

Discussion in 'All Other Observing Equipment' started by Pleiades, Apr 18, 2018.

A Bit Crazy Perhaps

Started by Pleiades on Apr 18, 2018 at 8:00 AM

19 Replies 3358 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Hi:

I'm working on a project that may be a bit strange. I'm wondering if anyone has ever attached a binocular eyepiece to a scope with an eyepiece in one ocular and a video feed in the other? Would this work?

The maniacal plot is as follows:
    I'm putting up a 10x10x9 screened canopy in the middle of a field. placing a scope with the aid of a mirror to observe the celestial skys, with a video feed into a laptop, while not denying my eyes the candy they must have. Mosquitos and critters have been a serios problem in this field in the past, and I'm looking to pull an all nighter. The scope will the a 6" Skyquest, Orion. The mirror will be on a mobile stand with a ball head. My astro-buddy will be in the screened tent with me as well as a couple of cats that will insist on being there screwing with things. The latter will be uninvited, but their presents is assured. The tent will contain chairs, coffee, donuts, and the ground beneath me will be pretreated with insecticide.

I typically work nightshift at my job, so the hours arn't an issue. It's just something I would like to try. any wisdom I can apply to this foolhardy event, would be nice.

2. Pleiades

Yes, I do realize that reality will likely end up looking a bit different then whats in my minds eye. That's okay. We have a couple of 4x4's that will be in the field with us as well; and I'll likely have my 5.56 rifle, as their are some coyotes that have been causing issues for a year plus. The house is a good 200-yards North & down the mountain of this setup. I'll post photos of the reality. The event date is soft, as the county is repaving the road opposite the woods. You wouldn't think their lights would be an issue, but they are. We were out there last night.

3. Pleiades

https://agenaastro.com/zwo-asi034mc-cmos-color-astronomy-imaging-camera.html

Maybe something like this... Not interested in the photography part as much as seeing an image through an eyepiece and on a screen, for discussion purposes. I'm finding that my buddy and I are describing the same views completely differently. Something I / We could point to on a screen would be nice.

4. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Is Coyote good to eat? I've had Dog before - excellent long-cooked as a stew* - but gamey & greasy fried or broiled. I don't know about the set-up you've described, but the sending the view to a screen has been around quite awhile now. A Flip-Mirror can be used for active-viewing while screening through a video-cam. Flipping from eyepiece to camera as desired.

Here's the Flip-Mirror I describe:

https://agenaastro.com/agena-1-25-flip-mirror.html

Keep us posted, please?

Dave

* - quite tender, rather like veal.

Nebula likes this.
  5. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I believe it tastes like chicken lol.

Nebula likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I believe it tastes like chicken lol.

hahaha

7. Pleiades

Don't think i'd eat coyote. They raise cain with goats, and goats cost too much to let a coyote hang around. Yes. I live in the country. Y'all laugh it up. The front page crime spree where i live involves someone getting a dui on a tractor. ;)

8. Dave In Vermont

I t'weren't making fun - just that I believe in using any 4-leg I have cause to dispatch. But I love the 'Dui on a tractor' tale! That's marvelous!

Our "Poor County" up here in Vermont is 'The Northeast Kingdom.' And a going joke:

"What do you call a guy in Hillsboro with two Goats?" "What?"....... "A pimp!" :eek: :p

Granny

15167.gif

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Pleiades likes this.
  9. Mak the Night

I live in the country. We have sheep, cows, badgers, owls, foxes, bats and hedgehogs. No coyotes, dingos or direwolves. Over the channel there was the Beast of Gévaudan back in the 1760's. Apparently it couldn't swim though. Swans taste nice so I've been told. Although they're all owned by the Queen or something. They're bad tempered and nasty. Swans are as well.

Pleiades likes this.
  10. Pleiades

Funny. They make Jack Daniels, just 30 minutes over in the hollow here. Its cool to smell the sour mash late in a summer evening. Its a nice place to call home.

11. Mak the Night

Sounds like it smells good.

Pleiades likes this.
  12. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

A little Jack Daniels and a coyote roasting on an open fire...

13. Mak the Night

Pleiades and Orion25 like this.
  14. Pleiades

Great toons Mac. I always liked Wiley better than that roadbird anyway. :)
    He never gives up! Funny, how when we have a goal we are so elated to make that goal, but with me anyway the battle or journey of achieving said goal is always the part I remember the most.

15. Mak the Night

Yeah, I always wanted Wiley to catch that beeping bird and slap him one lol.

16. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

If you have not seen any of the new ones they are hilarious :)

17. Dave In Vermont

ROTFLMAO!!

I too have been missing these wonderful cartoons. They've pulled them off the TV around these parts.

18. Pleiades

HA!!! Now you've really got me feeling bad for the coy.... Well sort of. There's a den of red fox with kits close to the river bank. If he leaves them alone, we're good.

19. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

20. Dave In Vermont

I also have a MallinCam - a Jr. Pro. Hope to get it running this year. Great cameras from all I've seen and read.

Now Back to Our Show:

ThatsAllFolks-Freleng-LtdEdCel.jpg

D.