Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSilver">Discussion Agree and Disagree

Discussion in 'AstronomyConnect Feedback and Suggestions' started by Bomber Bob, Aug 28, 2015.

Agree and Disagree

Started by Bomber Bob on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:02 PM

33 Replies 7736 Views 8 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob Well-Known Member

Since this is a new community, can we agree not to repeat the scourge of another astronomy forum? Can we agree that our individual preferences for a particular telescope design (catadioptric, reflector, or refractor) don't justify long rambling threads where we try to convince each other of The Truth? While I own other types of scopes, I prefer long / high f-ratio achromatic refractors. If you prefer Newtonians, or SCTs, or APOs... Why should I try to win you over to my side? We're talking about telescopes, not starting a new religion. Let's live and let live, share our experiences on AC, but not our prejudices.

SpyderwerX, KeithF, Frank and 5 others like this.
  2. george

george Developer

Hi @Bomber Bob, Thanks for posting your thoughts on this matter. I am actually going to move this thread to the AstronomyConnect Feedback and Suggestions forums for discussion as this is better suited in that area. But I believe it is a great discussion to have and definitely will help us draft our first version of our policies and site philosophy over all.

We are looking to possible have a some site guidelines written up, for discussion, some time next week. A few of us on the team are gathering feedback and notes from various sources so that we may come up with fair, reasonable, and organized guidelines for participating on AstronomyConnect.

3. Crow Haven

Crow Haven Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, Bob! :D

4. coopman

coopman Member

Sounds good to me.

5. Bomber Bob

I started this thread in the Equipment Forum because that's where the "design advocacy" topics are on other sites. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to suppress discussion before it gets going on AC. My intent is a friendly FYI so we avoid repeating history.

Robert Clark likes this.
  6. george

george Developer

I did not think that you were trying to suppress anything, actually I felt like I may have hijacked the thread a bit myself when I moved it but I can assure you my attentions were not as such. My intentions were to have an open discussion about how people voice their opinions in general. You are right, there are people who tend to be zealots on particular subject and unintentionally, or maybe even intentionally, try to push their own personal dogma onto other people.

For me personally, I love heated debates especially when I am passionate about the subject matter. I enjoy seeing both sides voice their opinions, its very informative for me. It allows me to receive another point of view that I may not have seen on my own. But at the same time I know that not everyone appreciates it, especially to the point of making someone feel bad for having a particular preference or point of view. I guess as a community we need to be conscious that everybody has unique tastes and opinions that we should respect them even if they may be in the minority. I think its fine to state your preferences or opinions but not to the point of berating or annoying other members.

PS. if you guys believe that this thread should belong back in the mounts & telescopes let me know in PM I'd be fine with moving it back. I also just wanted to give you an FYI, when we move thread we have the ability to set a redirect for that thread for a specific amount of time. So if you happen upon Telescopes and Mounts forums you will still see this thread there for, what I believe I set it for, 2 weeks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Crow Haven likes this.
  7. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Well-Known Member

Hey Bob! Nice to see ya over here too. While I do like listening to peoples discussions on the subject, I know what ya mean about trying to "convince" that one design is so much better than another. It can be annoying at times. I also like my 6" f/8 frac. Not quite looong, but at 6" I'm getting into mounting problems if longer! Lol! Meade AR6.

Crow Haven likes this.
  8. Bomber Bob

Like the Caveman, I'm in it for the Views. I do technical work all day, getting out under the clear skies is my escape, and the simpler the gear the better - which lead me to vintage scopes a few years ago, when I was seriously considering APOs, MCTs, and SCTs in that order. While I prefer long old achromats, and I'm crazy about my 1950s Edmund 4" f/15, I have no problem admitting that my 1940s Tinsley Saturn 6" f/20 Cassegrain is a better planet killer (heresy for some refractor fans).

I wasn't offended by the thread move. I bet the veterans of other astro forums have similar opinions, and I hope we can keep AC open, controversy free, and FUN! We're in this hobby for all kinds of individual reasons, we buy & use all kinds of gear, so let's keep our eyes on the prize - the wonders in clear skies.

9. Auriga

Auriga Active Member

Amusing that a thread critical of argumentation quickly starts an argument over where to put the thread! :D I'm personally far more interested in positive expressions of appreciation for different qualities of the hobby & equipment, rather than debates about whose perceptions and preferences are superior / correct. But some folks seem to like those debates and so they should probably have their place on any astro forum. My main gripe is having to wade through the bickering, and inevitable refereeing, in order to find statements to the intended topic of the thread.

For instance, a thread titled "what's your favorite Barlow?" will invariably solicit useless comments like "I don't use Barlows." Then someone asks "why?" and the thread devolves into yet another debate about transmission loss, chromatic fidelity, etc. I think I have actually seen this exact example multiple times.

It's not only arguments that cause tedious tangents. A thread of virtually any topic is liable to see a picture of equipment get posted, which inevitably leads to comments and questions about the pictured equipment, and suddenly the "what's your favorite glob?" thread is all about where Joe Schmoe got that custom finder shoe. (No offense to Mr. Schmoe, he's a swell guy).

Since a stated mission of this site is to be user-friendly, connecting related discussions, reviews, etc. so that they are easy to consume, I think controlling tangential ramblings should probably be a priority. It occurred to me that a "Tangent" button could be placed along side the "Quote" button on each post, operating much the same way as "Quote", except that it would highlight text in the original post and create a hyperlink to a separate thread / subthread. So someone could highlight the above line "what's your favorite Barlow" and, using the tangent button, make a link to a thread beginning with his post "I don't use Barlows." Viewers of the "favorite Barlow" thread could choose whether they want to follow the related topic. If hovering over the hyperlink displayed a title to the tangent thread, then the non-Barlow users would know where to go to express their disapproval.

Overuse of such a feature could hurt discussion flow, and I have no idea what it would take on the web-tech side of things. But I think it could work and would be worth a try if technically feasible.

As for my telescope preferences, this about sums it up:

10. george

george Developer

Hey @Auriga

I have to really thank you for your post. This pretty much sums up exactly what I personally dislike about digging through forum threads. I'm sure it's the same for many others, and it is exactly what we are trying to avoid by giving people the features to make it easier to stay on topic and organized for future readers as well.

So that functionality you were describing actually is somewhat built into the latest version of Xenforo, which we are on, you can currently highlight text in a thread and a button will pop up to either quote or reply. You can directly reply to the highlighted text or you can continuously highlight and add quotes to be used at a later time when you do make a post or new thread. If you have quotes queue up you should see a button that says Insert Quotes... at the bottom of the text area on both the quick reply view and the standard dedicated page view.

The when you do use the quote system within Xenforo it will put a link back to the original post even if it is on another thread. For example

We will probably need to make it a bit more obvious but there is an arrow icon link next to the name of the person who got quoted and that will take you to that post on what ever thread it may be.

To your second point an easy way to start thread we will probably try to add a link to that selection context menu I described earlier to make a new thread quoting from the highlighted text. Currently we do have a button at the top of each thread for creating a new thread within the same forum.

Your remarks will definitely make it into our guidelines and I have a personal feeling I may have to make use of that video there as well :) That video is just gold.

11. george

george Developer

I just reread your post again and leaving post in the original thread may take some custom development but I think that is a good idea as well. At the very least maybe a way of showing tangent threads on a sidebar widget instead of inline.

And just throwing it out there maybe, and I'll see if this is even possible, the side bar widget that will show a list of threads containing quotes from the parent thread.

12. riverrby

riverrby Member

Guidelines maybe,rules no! It is just how you read it. I like to let the text define the character of the person.

13. Blueman

Blueman Member

I never try to convince anyone to buy things, but if asked I will give an opinion based on personal experiences. I agree, everyone should be allowed to own what they prefer and if you don't approve of their choice that is fine, but leave that choice to them.
    Floyd

Crow Haven and george like this.
  14. CosmicLugNut

CosmicLugNut Member

The OP sounds to me like one of those things that goes without saying . . .

george likes this.
  15. LewC

LewC Well-Known Member

Telescope politics: don't ya just love it?

Robert Clark likes this.
  16. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

The one thing that really chaps my, um, donkey, is when a newb comes on with the standard question, "What telescope should I get?" and instantly gets about a dozen "Get a dob"s in four-part harmony. A dob is NOT always the best scope for someone to get. I used to be the "crazy Mak guy" over at that other forum, and this universal dob-promotion society would annoy me no end. (I've calmed down since then.)

I'm also NOT saying that a dob is the wrong scope, either. I would just ask that before automatically singing "Get a dob" (the Silhouettes original version) that you ask them some questions first. Such as:

1. Do you have any physical problems that would prevent you from lifting 25 pounds or more?
    2. Do you live in a small apartment, or a house with storage space limitations, or with someone who would object to having a telescope the size of a small water heater?
    3. How do you feel about having to collimate the scope every few months, or even every few weeks, depending on how you use it?
    4. How do you feel about needing to let the scope cool down for 30 to 45 minutes before using it?

Depending on the answers to these questions, a dob could certainly be appropriate. But then again, it may not be.

SpyderwerX, george and Robert Clark like this.
  17. LewC

LewC Well-Known Member

As long as I've been in this hobby, I've never owned a Dob or an SCT. And I even met John Dobson, the creator of the Dob, and I knew Tom Johnson, the founder of Celestron. Kinda weird, isn't it?

jgroub and Robert Clark like this.
  18. riverrby

riverrby Member

I must agree, never advise what to buy unless it's your spouse. My choice was based on physical limitations first and check book second. Any beginner can do the research. I did and am happy.;)

19. Dr. Ski

Dr. Ski Well-Known Member

I always ask myself "What would Jesus use?"

ghostdance likes this.
  20. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

OMG that gave me such a chuckle!