Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Binoculars - Blinded with Science

Discussion in 'All Other Observing Equipment' started by Pleiades, Sep 5, 2018.

Binoculars - Blinded with Science

Started by Pleiades on Sep 5, 2018 at 8:20 AM

57 Replies 8193 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I'll go along with that. I believe that one reason I bought the GSO 2" 2X. Which is quite good in my opinion. You could use an extension - or screw it at the front of a 90° Diagonal and you'd get around a 2X though. Or place the entire Barlow at the front of the 90° to get even more magnification than 2X. EXPERIMENT, ETC - until you get where you you wish to be.

Good question, Mak!

Still chuckling over that "Bollocks" posting!

Dave - Cat Lover at Large

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've read conflicting descriptions of what 'Modified Achromat' actually means, so your guess is as good as mine. The 28mm LET EP's are described as modified Kellners by Sky-Watcher in their advertising spiel. So, they could be just about anything then lol.

I've pulled the trigger on the 2" GSO Barlow!

3. Dave In Vermont

I think you'll be very pleased with the GSO 2" 2X Barlow. But if what happened to mine is any indicator - be prepared to get another 1.25" to 2" Eyepiece-Adapter. Maybe not though. Just don't be terribly surprised if it's brass compression-band goes haywire.

Enjoy!

4. Mak the Night

I have several GSO adaptors spare anyway as I replaced the originals with Baaders on at least four scopes.

5. Dave In Vermont

As you'll see, the brass-band is about 1/4 to 1/3rd of the way down the adapter - lending it a proprietary look. So I had a bad time pulling it out of the adapter with pliers. So it was totaled and I had to throw it away. I replaced it with an extra William Optics adapter. It works, but it looks odd. :p

Of all the things to make 'customized' - this was a ridiculous choice! :eek: :D

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  6. Mak the Night

Thanks for the head's up Dave. I'll have a closer look when it arrives. To be honest I only really want the element.

7. Dave In Vermont

I just unscrewed the element of mine. Nice threads! Smooth as satin. You should be quite happy.

8. Mak the Night

GSO threads are usually pretty good and will normally fit anything.

9. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

This has become quite an interesting thread while I was away. (Busy time of year). I haven't had much time recently. JGroub, thanks for that awesome answer. That's just what I was thinking/wondering and I'll definitely use that logic.

My favorite EP, (in my f/8 SkyQuest XT6) is my relatively inexpensive Celestron X-Cel LX 18mm. For reasons I never think about, it is always what ends up on my scope for the largest portion of the time during a stargazing session. Apparently, 16mm of ER is my personal sweet spot.

As for Binos, I am really enjoying my fairly new Celestron 12x60's. I usually have to find something to lean/brace on, but hey, I'm a leaner anyway. I plan on taking a metal strap, and putting a bend in it, drilling a hole and putting a bolt and washers on one end, so it will mount to my Binos, and three self-tap wood screws in the other to mount it to an old red cedar walking stick. Or maybe something a little more adjustable. I have to make a run over to the Farmers Co-Op today anyhow to pick up some supplies for the county fair. I'll see what they have.

jgroub likes this.
  10. Dave In Vermont

I think they went all-out on these. It's even better than their usual quality and sense of aesthetics - except for that ridiculous adapter! :p

Must have been done by somebody's poor relative....:rolleyes: :D

11. Mak the Night

gso2a.jpg

It came in a nice box. It looks very good quality. However, the element threads off alright, but isn't totally compatible with any of my 2" EP's. It will thread a bit then sticks. It will thread completely into any 2" GSO extension tube. Looks like I'll be looking for some 2" GSO eyepieces compatible with fast refractors soon lol.

gso2b.jpg

12. Dave In Vermont

Must depend on the eyepiece and who made it. GSO probably probably looked for how to cut the threads and piched around the middle of the range. I just tried it on my weird Gary Russel 2" 50mm. Threaded the GSO with no problem.

ps - I have the 2" GSO 32mm and 38mm, and the element fits perfectly - as you'd expect.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  13. Mak the Night

Are those GSO 32mm and 38mm any good on fast refractors Dave? The SuperView can be a bit 'flock of seagulls' supposedly. Can't say I noticed that much on my ST80 though.

14. Dave In Vermont

I couldn't complain. I found they worked fine in my ST80. But some coma at edge-of-field. But It wasn't a TeleVue® or whatever. But I wasn't expect them to be such. So I'm quite happy and use them all the time.

Your milage me vary.

15. Mak the Night

OK thanks Dave, I might be able to get a GSO 32mm. I can live with a bit of edge of field astigmatism, it shouldn't be too bad in an f/5.8 scope, especially on-axis.

444309a1-ce7a-4dfe-9387-f021c310355e.png

16. Dave In Vermont

Let me know what it does in that particular scope?

Thanks!

17. Mak the Night

OK.

18. Dave In Vermont

19. Mak the Night

OK thanks Dave. I've pulled the trigger on a 32mm GSO Kellner at 365Astronomy. I've since discovered that the GSO Kellners have been discontinued, so I guess I'll get the 365 pic'n'mix surprise then lol. It will be interesting to see what actually arrives.

20. Dave In Vermont

Oh yes! Put me on the list to be able to pass the info onto should someone want to know for whatever the reason. You've probably heard of the 'Miles-O'-Files' :p