Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Comet ZTF!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Jan 27, 2023.

Comet ZTF!

Started by Orion25 on Jan 27, 2023 at 10:30 PM

9 Replies 774 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I saw Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF visually for the first time through binoculars and my 127mm Mak before dawn! Presently, it's near the bowl of the Little Dipper and similar in brightness to M13. It has become an evening object as well. Perigee is less than a week away (Feb.1) so now is the time to see it. Here are some images, taken at prime focus, ISO 6400, single 10s exposures (the sky was brightening quickly):

ASTRONOMY - COMET ZTF 1-27-23 B CAPTION SM.jpg

ASTRONOMY - COMET ZTF 1-27-23 A CAPTION SM.jpg

You can see a bit of the ion tails, too.

Clear skies,
    Reggie :D

Ed D likes this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the pics, which are great, and the acquisition info. I'm thinking of setting up my 90mm Mak lens and DSLR to hopefully try a shot tomorrow morning. Let's see how it goes.

Ed

ADDED: I checked on The Sky Live website and it shows the comet visible at my location at 10:30pm. Unfortunetely, it is low and in a part of the sky that glows white from the heavy LP.

I'll check it out tonight. There's always hope.

Ed

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

No problem, Ed. I wasn't too confident about the comet gaining good brightness in my light-polluted sky (Bortle 7-8) so I half-heartedly pulled out the binoculars, scanned the area of interest, and was pleasantly surprised. Though not a Neowise or Lovejoy, and nowhere near Hale-Bopp or Hyakutake, it's always exciting for me to spot a fuzzy visitor :) I'm hoping that ZTF will reach naked-eye visibility in my area at perigee.

Yes, there is always hope. Go for it, Ed! ;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Seeing the green comet would make my night.

Orion25 likes this.
  6. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nothing so far in my neck of the woods, and I have been trying. The comet is in the most horrible spot in my night sky. If the weather cooperates I want to try pointing the laser where I think the comet may be and taking a few shots. The equipment has been set up and on stand-by in my garage for several days.

To Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF: "Go ahead, make my day"

Orion25 likes this.
  7. Orion25

Keep an eye on the area between Polaris and Capella; the comet is making a beeline toward Capella for an anticipated flyby on Feb 5. It will make a nice close conjunction with Mars on February 10-11. It will fade about a magnitude between now and then.

Ed D and Mak the Night like this.
  8. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thank you, Reggie. I was looking at The Sky Live website. It looks like the comet has moved into a more favorable part of my night sky. Right now it's cloudy and raining, but the forecast looks good for tomorrow through Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed!

ADDED: I was looking in The Sky Live and it appears the comet will be in the Auriga area for a few nights. It will be a lot easier for me to find it and image it.

Ed

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Orion25 likes this.
  9. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Tuesday February 6, 2023: I GOT IT !!!

Yes, I'm excited. :D I have a bunch of frames I need to sort through and process to come up with an image. I hope to be posting in the next few days.

Conditions have actually been horrible, even today. By some miracle the sky cleared up tonight and everything came together.

Thank you, Reggie, for letting me know where the comet was going to be. It was a great help.

Ed

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Orion25 likes this.
  10. Orion25

HOORAY! That's great news, Ed. I can't wait to see your images! :D