Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Is Glimpse Abandonware?

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Mak the Night, Dec 9, 2022.

Is Glimpse Abandonware?

Started by Mak the Night on Dec 9, 2022 at 12:24 PM

14 Replies 796 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of weird rumours about Glimpse. I've run it on Ubuntu in the past. The last update was in November last year.

glimpse.jpg

I don't know about imaging, I use programs like this as general image manipulation processors. I did wonder if any imagers ran it on Linux. If so does anyone know what's happening at Glimpse? Has it finally become abandonware?

https://glimpse-editor.org/

2. Mak the Night

3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

First time hearing about Glimpse. I hope it gets back up and running.

4. Mak the Night

TBH Reggie I fear it's now toast. I have GIMP and Pinta anway. When I used Windows I quite liked Paint.NET. Honestly, check this out. I kind of miss it. Plus, it's freeware. Not sure why Mickey$oft decided to spend a ton of money to develop this, then give it away. It's not like their usual business model of squeezing blood out of stones. Photoshop is glitching on macOS. And I have Affinity II now. Although I prefer GIMP on both platforms, now I've finally figured how to install and run it on a Mac.

https://www.getpaint.net/

The Linux version/fork is Pinta:

https://www.pinta-project.com/

I run the Snap package of Pinta now, as opposed to the repo version. Snaps are a tad controversial, I believe they were introduced by Canonical. Some of them are a bit Austin Allegro (a car originally fitted with a square steering wheel, I kid you not). The Brave browser Snap is terrible. So I install it from their site with the Terminal (command line).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austi...egro_Interior_with_Quartic_steering_wheel.jpg

Square wheels, another great British revolutionary invention! o_O

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  5. Mak the Night

I believe Glimpse is sandboxed on Linux, so the latest version is supposedly still pretty secure. Unlike the security nightmare that is anything Windows.

Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  6. Mak the Night

gimp.jpg

GIMP and Pinta running on my old Lenovo G500 (Focal Fossa).

pinta.jpg

7. Mak the Night

gimp.jpg

GIMP and Pinta snaps on Jammy Jellyfish (Juno bespoke build).

pintasnap.jpg

8. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I run Windows on my main computer but it's off-line and uses the older XP OS. I'm stuck on my beloved old programs and refuse to pay hundreds for the latest versions and updates that I don't need or add glitches, lol. I do have two laptops with Windows 10, one I keep off-line and run my astronomy, video, photography, and music software, and one to surf the net. So, if I get attacked on my "on-the-grid" laptop I can still work on my other computers until I get the sick one fixed. I may just switch on over to Linux. Windows is a big money grab!

Square steering wheel? Square tires? :eek::eek::eek:

Mak the Night likes this.
  9. Mak the Night

I thought Win 7 was quite good, but Mickey$oft really made a pig's ear of the updating cycles. So I converted to Ubuntu. Canonical is a British based (Isle of Man) company, and Shuttleworth, a multimillionaire and even a trained ex-cosmonaut, is a bit of an idealist. I like the bloke. Although I doubt he'll break the domination of M$ in the desktop market. Ubuntu means 'humanity' in Nguni, I believe.

Oddly, it was a best seller (once they put a proper steering wheel in), particularly in France. It had front wheel drive and a revolutionary hydrogas suspension. It still looked like crap and was unreliable though.

Orion25 likes this.
  10. Mak the Night

More on less on topic:

gimpmac.jpeg

GIMP 2 10 32 running on macOS (Ventura). When full screen/size GIMP becomes unresponsive. If a reduced window is used it mysteriously returns. This behaviour suddenly started only a few weeks ago. I wonder what Glimpse is like on Mac? I'll leave it for now, but it might work.

Orion25 likes this.
  11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 Linux is very nice, you really feel free with it. All the old XP stuff can easily run on virtualbox virtual machine except 3d accelerated softwares.

Mak the Night and Orion25 like this.
  12. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night

COol Glimpse looks like a clone of Gimp? There is something I don't like about GIMP and it's the text editor, it's so bad... it looks like something coming right from year 1998.

How is the text editor for Glimpse? have you tried it

13. Mak the Night

I don't think it's much better to be honest Neb. Although Glimpse was primarily an attempt to rectify the mess of libraries that seems to plague GIMP. It's a fork of GIMP.

Nebula likes this.
  14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night ok.. I don't use advanced options in Gimp very much to really know the libraries problems.. For me it's pretty good except for the multi line text manager lol, I really wish they would improve it to make it more effective.

I am not going to try Glimpse then, thanks.

15. Mak the Night

Yeah, I'm no expert either. From what the developer claimed it seems that there were a few things about GIMP that could be improved at an architecture level. Whether the end user would notice at an interface level is debatable. Between GIMP and Pinta I think I'm pretty covered on Ubuntu..

I am curios about this though:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3314739/linux-apps-on-chrome-os-an-easy-to-follow-guide.html