Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mars Regional Dust Storm

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Mak the Night, Sep 24, 2022.

Mars Regional Dust Storm

Started by Mak the Night on Sep 24, 2022 at 4:59 AM

71 Replies 4846 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Filters are interesting, I remember arriving in a brick store once with that printed sheet of the Agena Color filters. The seller basically told me (politely) that it was BS and that color filters are BS.

He was very upset about that sheet.

I see results differently from the sheet but the color filters work for me on the planets, some more then others. Eventually, I would like to have higher quality 80A

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Filter use is a bit subjective but the Baader Semi-Apo and Contrast Booster are really good for Mars.

Nebula likes this.
  3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Speaking from personal experience, colored filters have aided me in isolating Martian features, such as differentiating ground fog from clouds, when observing and sketching. I want to go through my sketches and post my results using filters. In imaging, filters are also used to bring out specific features and details which cannot be captured otherwise, such as an IR filter allowing capture of surface features during a Martian planet-wide dust storm which otherwise obscures those features. Combining the RGB and IR images I came up with an image of Mars that would have otherwise been an orange blob. Anyone making blanket statements about filters being a gimmick or useless only demonstrates their lack of knowledge on the subject.

Ed

Orion25, Nebula and Mak the Night like this.
  4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Here's another good article about observing Mars: https://agenaastro.com/articles/observing-articles/mars-observing-guide.html

I remember years ago on another forum a new observer stating all he could see of Mars with his 8" Dob was an orange disk. The night before I made a very detailed sketch of an observation I made with an old 60mm long refractor I had. Hmmm...

Ed

ADDED: https://alpo-astronomy.org/jbeish/2022_MARS.htm

This is the link to the very informative article Jeff Beish writes for ALPO every Mars apparition.

Ed

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Nebula and Mak the Night like this.
  5. Mak the Night

Imaging filters are definitely necessary and not just a matter of de rigueur, but even for visual Mars benefits from some colour filtering. Jupiter as well. Maybe not so much for Saturn but I've always liked Wratten #11 (yellow-green) as it really brings the rings out.

Ed D likes this.
  6. Mak the Night

You can see a lot with a 60mm refractor. Many won't accept it, but it's true.

[​IMG]

I know, I've got the T-shirt! ;)

Nebula likes this.
  7. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

LOL on the T-Shirt! Observing experience can often trump aperture. One sure-fire way to learn how to observe detail is to sketch. That's how I honed my observing skills.

Ed

ADDED: Sketches don't have to be fine works of art. This was pointed out to me years ago when I started and my sketches were..... :eek:

Ed

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Nebula and Mak the Night like this.
  8. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

The attached sketches were done in 2014 with a Vixen 70mm med-long achromat. Page 2 of 2 shows what I observed through each filter, and how each one reveals specific features and details:

Mars 2014 04-10 1 of 2.jpg

Mars 2014 04-10 2 of 2.jpg

Hot bad, huh?

Ed

Mak the Night likes this.
  9. Mak the Night

Not bad at all Ed. I'm impressed. I'd love to sketch at the eyepiece, unfortunately a stroke took out my right arm.

10. Mak the Night

I think using small apertures can improve the way you observe as you have to work at it in many respects.

Nebula likes this.
  11. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Mak, I'm sorry to hear about the stroke and what it did to you.

Ed

12. Mak the Night

I've been having problems recently and I've had to see more doctors. I'm not sure whether I'm out of the woods yet. I'm trying to look on the bright side. lol

13. Mak the Night

There are reports that the southern polar cap isn't visible now. Whether this is due to storms or not isn't certain.

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Interesting notes here, cool sketches @Ed D I like the idea of using real color for Mars, it produces beautiful sketches and it's also logging important information, about the color itself..

I really need to spend the time, be methodical and look at the same planet with different filters, like what you did on the page 2 of 2. Really 1 sketch per filter with good notes... yeah.

The orange filter that is in interesting choice.

I commit to do the exercice with Jupiter, soon. :)

Color filters are useful for the planets, I like the #11 also for Saturn following your suggestion Mak it will really contrast the cloud cover of the planet, It's one of my best color filters. The Saturn filter! #11

An finally last night I had a nightmare and woke up at 3:45am, believe it or not, the sky was clear and I took my 200mmx1000 Newtonian out for a Mars observation AT LAST!!! As if my subconscious woke me up and gave me the gift of a very high planet Mars in the sky and pretty good atmospheric conditions.

I'll publish that sketch later to see how it went.

Mak the Night likes this.
  15. Mak the Night

The #11 is really good as a 'Saturn' filter lol. The Baader 'yellow' longpass at 435nm is virtually yellow-green. It will be interesting to see your sketch with the big scope. Mars rotates at roughly the same speed as the Earth. If you observe it at the same time every night you'll basically see the same surface features. This can vary individually depending on where you are on the planet. A lot of the storms were originally reported by Japanese astronomers. Some of the areas were still in the darkside of the terminator for a lot of observers further west, apparently.

Nebula likes this.
  16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

My idea was to go with premium filters like Baader yeah, if they all are like the moon and sky glow, these will be VERY good filters. I think about it.

It's true about the speed of rotation, I hadn't thought about it really.I need some website that will show me the right face of Mars in the first place, as a starting point.

Here is my observation of Mars from last night, I am quite satisfied with it.. even if the amount of details was poor.. but considering the size of the disk, it's a success.

[​IMG]
    Note: 200x would reveal more of "C" not "A"

Ed D and Mak the Night like this.
  17. Mak the Night

The Baader Contrast Booster and Semi-Apo filters are the best for Mars. From what I've been told the NPH clouds are quite prominent at the moment.

https://www.celestron.com/pages/skyportal-mobile-app

SkyPortal should show an accurate representation of visible Martian features. Although I think Stellarium is a lot more accurate now on Linux.

stell1.thumb.jpg.ef914fa912766a7d96abcdddad1471ca.jpg

The snap renders planetary detail rapidly now without the delay of a few seconds before Saturn's rings kicked in.

stell2.thumb.jpg.9f828700bfb1bf2cc685fd430a716770.jpg

Nebula likes this.
  18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Stellarium was not very good the last time I checked.. here I have version 0.19.3 hard to tell if it's accurate.. Maybe i will check for the snap version in the next days.

Celestron app, I have no devices to run it.

19. Mak the Night

Snap (Ubuntu)

https://snapcraft.io/install/stellarium-daily/ubuntu

SkyPortal/SkySafari should run on Android. I run it on a Chromebook. There is a macOS version. There is a macOS Mars app but it's not too accurate either.

20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night I found on the website of stellarium, an Appimage installation, it works. I compared Mars from the 1.0 Appimage vs the 0.19.3 native repository version currently installed on my computer.

It looks like both version share the same planetary engine programming.

[​IMG]