Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mars Regional Dust Storm

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Mak the Night, Sep 24, 2022.

Mars Regional Dust Storm

Started by Mak the Night on Sep 24, 2022 at 4:59 AM

71 Replies 4850 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I am unable to really identify anything with my previous work on a sheet and the junk maps I find on the internet..

I think that the darkest shade on my sketch "c" could be a part of Mare Sirenum...

[​IMG]

Ed D likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Yes, but how accurate is it?

mars.jpg

This is Mars on SkySafari 7 Pro on Saturday the 8th 2022. At 04:28:07 GMT (05:28:07 British Summer Time). I'm not sure exactly how accurate SkySafari is but I think it's pretty close.

Nebula likes this.
  3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I really don't know how accurate is Stellarium to show the right face of Mars.

I have no way to verify this currently.

4. Mak the Night

Check it at 04:28:07 GMT/Zulu/UT and it should be similar to the SkySafari screenshot above. I'll fire my Lenovo G500 up in a bit and check Mars with Stellarium. It isn't the snap though. I'll post a screenshot. Watch this space!

Edit:

mars.jpg
    mars (1).jpg

Seems close to me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

@Nebula, I have two free programs (apps? Am I showing my age?) that I find invaluable: Virtual Planet Atlas, and Virtual Moon Atlas. I have been using them for years and find that they are easy to use and very informative. They are free downloads. If you like observing planets and the moon you may want to download these programs and give them a try. Easy enough to delete if you don't like them - but I'm sure you'll keep and use them.

As for filters, I find that for me, the best all-around Mars filter is the Baader Neodymium (M&SG) filter. I have both the 1.25" and 2" sizes for imaging and visual use. For colored filters I have inexpensive filters in light and medium RGYB. Mine are the old Meade brand. I suspect the GSO, sold by Agena, are OK.

Your sketch is good, capturing Martian surface features, as well as the included information.

Ed

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  6. Mak the Night

I don't think there are Unix versions of VPA and VMA. If there are they may not be easy to install.

mars.jpeg

Mars Atlas (macOS) isn't that far off the others to be honest. Although I've seen it progressively become less accurate over time. I don't think there's a Linux version.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    Nebula likes this.
  7. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out, Mak. I'm using Windows 10.

Ed

8. Mak the Night

You're welcome. I ditched Windows after Win 7. I actually quite miss the Virtual Moon Atlas. The Virtual Planet Atlas was pretty good as well IIRC. I think there's a way of running VMA on Linux, but it's a tad complicated lol. I'm still not sure how to run Stellarium on a Mac. I can run it in a directory like a portable.

Ed D likes this.
  9. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

According to this report, the storm has peaked and is slowly winding down (hurray!). It has impacted the solar-powered InSight probe but not the nuclear-powered Curiosity and Perseverance probes. NASA reports that these storms are particularly numerous and large during northern fall and winter on the Red Planet (which is ending):

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-insight-waits-out-dust-storm

Ed D, Nebula and Mak the Night like this.
  10. Mak the Night

Well, that's good news. I went a bit crackers with Mars fever and ordered a stupid expensive orange Lumicon filter.

https://www.astroshop.eu/planetary-comet-filters/lumicon-filters-#-21-orange-1-25-/p,6704

In my defence, I am heavily medicated. :confused:;)

Ed D, Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  11. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Ed D and Mak the Night like this.
  12. Mak the Night

If we aren't ... we should be lol. o_O

Orion25 likes this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I would benefit from it!

Congratulations @Mak the Night for the premium Orange filter. My 82a filter was not so impressive tonight compared to my Baader neodymium, the low quality of the glass would obviously cut my total resolution which is a big deal when then amount of details is already very low on Jupiter.

The Mars atlas from #46 looks cool. It's called simply Mars Atlas?

14. Mak the Night

My Baader Neodymium is probably my most used filter. Mars Atlas is only available for Apple AFAIK.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mars-atlas/id303482394

It's quite good when it's accurate.

15. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night I found a 82a Lumicon, on Agena, I will use it with a 9mm and 12mm Xcel Lx, the Fujiyama OR-HD and the 6mm Delos.

Do you think that Lumicon will screw well to these eyepieces?

My idea was to buy premium 80a and 82a at the same time but the 80a is BO, it is not really the end of the world because my first choice was really 82a for Jupiter. Today I compared my GSO 82a with the Neodymium filter, a naked eye test and it's VERY different, neodymium will add a lot of red to the views even if the filter is blue, but the 82a will really turn the image blue and contrast the reds, both have similar effects on the reds but with the Neodymium, the image is MUCH sharper and cleaner, very comfortable to look through, it truly is an incredible filter.

These are my naked eye observation from today.

I'll have to pass on the Apple Mars atlas and the appstore.

16. Mak the Night

Lumicon threads are improving. The newer ones with cross-etched housings are pretty compatible. Older stock may not.

17. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night Hemmm on the website it's the older version, from the image. I tried to find, without success, the wavelength of Wratten 82a, it's nowhere to be found on the internet.

But I am still attracted to the Baader solution, it's more expensive but it might be as good.
    https://astronomyplus.com/product/baader-light-blue-color-filter/

470nm they say about it, it's almost a cyan filter.
    [​IMG]

Do you have it?

18. Mak the Night

The Baader 'light blue' is mid way between the Wratten 80A and 82A to my eyes. Oddly, Baader filters are cheaper for me. It's not as light as the Lumicon 82A which is very subtle. I perceive the Lumicon 82A and Baader light blue as quite different filters.

Nebula likes this.
  19. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night Thanks for your opinion on this again. I ordered the Lumicon 82a - very light blue filter from Agena this morning. I think it will go along well with my Baader Neodymium as a second option for Jupiter (Maybe the moon also and other planets)

If it has the same transmission at my GSO, 73%, it's not going to be too aggressive just like neodymium, that's what I hope but with a premium quality filter.

20. Mak the Night

Yes, its transmission is excellent. I'd guess higher than the GSO, easily. It is definitely an alternative for Jupiter. Works well on the Moon. I've even stacked it with a Lumicon #8 as a fringe killer.

Nebula likes this.