Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Nebula's Astronomy Den

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Nebula, Feb 2, 2018.

Nebula's Astronomy Den

Started by Nebula on Feb 2, 2018 at 8:12 PM

567 Replies 74814 Views 5 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Great tests again @Dave In Vermont, I am browsing the pictures right now to see the differences

2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I wonder, do you have a picture with no filter to see the original color if these lights?

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

No - but they are a brilliant white and without filtration would be blinding. They are a white fluorescent coiled-tube bulb, and occasionally a white lightbulb as well.

They add nothing by-way of colour to the pictures as presented. Just the light in & of itself.

Glad you like the images. From those I especially like the way the Baader OIII shows it's uniformity in darkness in comparison to the Astronomik OIII previously sent. But to see how the transmission-bands and the real differences between these two, you'd need to take them both outdoors to a dark-site and take a time-exposure with each on a DSO or two.

I'll get around to doing more copies tomorrow. It will be a busy day - so don't hold your breath.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Ok, well that's an interesting test.

I want to buy a new moon filter myself, i was thinking about a good single filter Orion 13% or 25%. I started a thread on CN about that and it's difficult to pick between the 2, people like both of them and apparently both of them would be good to have.

I want to buy only 1 filter. I'll have to ask my friend to borrow my old variable polarizing filter again to set it at 25% or 13%.. then pick the one I prefer.

That's my filter effort these days...

5. Dave In Vermont

Just so you know - Those 'MOON FILTER' that come's with most telescopes (Often with a plastic retaining-ring) are 13% through-put.

Happy Hunting!

R & D

6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

they also give a terrible 28mm LET with my telescope which makes me believe they don't always give the right thing with the telescope. :D

But it seems the 13% is winning over the 25%, slightly, I will go with the 13%

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  7. Dave In Vermont

I hope you enjoy it!

I'll stick with my 2-piece. I also have the 'give-away' 13% filter.

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I don't expect the 13% to be a give away filter especially at 45CAD with shipping. I expect it to be a good quality filter, Orion ND13%

9. Dave In Vermont

I hope it works out - whatever you decide upon. If I were in the market for one, I'd get what Reggie got that snared the markings in the clouds of Venus. That was/is a one-piece variable from Meade. If memory serves me.

That was one heck of a finding!

10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Winner is the 13% i just clicked "place your order"

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-1-25-I...UTF8&qid=1538101561&sr=8-1&keywords=orion+13%

Today I decided to try to square my focuser, removed my secondary and everything.. it took 2.25 hours to do.. and damn.. everything is back at the exact same position has it was before, the focuser has a clear visible angle, a 2mm tilt on one side but everything is almost perfectly concentric inside the Cheshire, primary mirror is very well placed and all visible.

Actually it's not possible to square that focuser, when it's squared the secondary is impossible to center in it. I need to tilt it a bit to get the secondary perfectly concentric in the cheshire..

I give up @Dave In Vermont

Looking trough the cheshire sight tube.. result is quite good.. so I'll leave it to that and stop being too perfectionist.

11. Dave In Vermont

Perhaps you could place a thin washer or something to put it up to the correct level?

Congratulation on the Orion 13% Moon-Filter (and Venus).

12. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Those are giveaways with many of the Evostar refractors. They work fairly well in fast refractors, there is a bit of astigmatism towards the edge of field. They're OK for under 30 quid.

I'd never buy a Newtonian faster than f/6. I've seen coma correctors that cost more than some OTA's. lol

13. Mak the Night

I believe the standard ND 0.9 density is 13%. These are aimed at reflectors of 150mm or over and refractors of 100mm and over. Below these apertures an ND of 0.6 (25%) is probably more effective. ND filters are not the same as plane polarising filters and don't work on the same principle.

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

makes sens to use 25% with scopes bellow 150mm. many larger aperture are F5 or less that a problem.. I tried a10" Xi10 Orion, it's F4.7 and it's approximately the same thing has mine, same amount of coma. With dirty mirrors It's wiping out my 8" on any objects literally.

I would buy that telescope with tracking, they are expensive..

15. Mak the Night

I'd probably use an ND 0.6 on any reflector under 15cm. Refractors are different as they are so much more light efficient. But under about 10cm I'd prefer an 0.6 (25%). Both the polariser and the ND 0.6 below are GSO although they say Revelation Astro and TS Optics on them.

IMG_20180928_123508.jpg

I have a Baader 0.9, it's OK on a bright Moon with the 150mm Newtonian.

IMG_20180928_122703.jpg

16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

17. Dave In Vermont

And now - back to the Lightbulb -Test Series:

Because you requested it, Here's a Control with NO FILTER.

Control - No Filter R.JPG
    Control - No Filter R

GSO 112 Yellow Filter R.JPG
    GSO 112 Yellow Filter R

IMG_1256 1 2458305 - No Neodymium R.JPG
    IMG_1256 1 2458305 - No Neodymium R*

IMG_1258 1 2458305A With Neodymium R.JPG
    IMG_1258 1 2458305A With Neodymium R*

Lumicon Swan (Cyanogen) Filter R.JPG
    Lumicon Swan (Cyanogen) Filter R

Note, Neb's that I put an asterick on the Baader Moon & Skyglow Filter(s) thus: * . This to remind you that, though now most people call these 'Neodymium Filters' it wasn't always so. Two versions of this same (almost) filter were made by Baader. The first one they produced did NOT have Neodymium in the substrate. And their serial-numbers on the Neodymium one's were altered by the addition of the letter 'A' at the end:
    12458305 and 12458305A

Most people have no clue of this. But now you're not among them! :p

So there's your Filter - Trivia Du Jour, and a continuation of your requested series. Also note I made you a Control - Image of No Filter.

Hope you enjoy these. And I do hope you're putting them in your own file.

<POIT!>

Nebula likes this.
  18. Dave In Vermont

And here's more. Now we're making some serious progress! Sorry for any duplications. Something's get a bit scrambled during recent moves I've made, and I'm still playing 'Catch-Up' in these 'Miles -O'-Files' here in Podunk! :p

GSO 12 Yellow Filter R.JPG
    GSO 12 Yellow Filter R

Orion 11 Yellow-Green Filter R.JPG
    Orion 11 Yellow-Green Filter R

Orion 21 Orange Filter R.JPG
    Orion 21 Orange Filter R

Orion 25 Red Filter R.JPG
    Orion 25 Red Filter R

Orion Mars-Filter a R.JPG
    Orion Mars-Filter a R

Orion Mars-Filter b R .JPG
    Orion Mars-Filter b R

That should do it for now. How's your file coming along now, Neb's? It should be getting there nicely! Soon you'll be a true, certifiable 'FILTER-NUT' too! :eek::p

R & D

ps - be aware of Squirrels, you know what they eat - don't you!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Nebula likes this.
  19. Dave In Vermont

And yet more.....

ORION SII-FILTER R.jpg
    ORION SII-FILTER R

ORION Skyglow BB Filter R.JPG
    ORION Skyglow BB Filter R

Schüler 1.25-inch UV Filter (Venus Filter) R.JPG
    Schüler 1.25-inch UV Filter (Venus Filter) R

Side-By-Side FL-D Test a B+W R.JPG
    Side-By-Side FL-D Test a B+W R

Side-By-Side FL-D Test b Tiffen R.JPG
    Side-By-Side FL-D Test b Tiffen R
    Let me know if you have any questions, Neb's - or anyone. Phew! We're almost done!

Nebula likes this.
  20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Thanks for these test @Dave In Vermont, I would be interested to see the difference between the Orion mars filter and the Celestron mars filter eventually if you have the time.

The swan filter has well has the Orion skyglow have a very special effect on these 2 lights.

Lately I studied to build a dobson base and an equatorial platform has well has a dob chair but.. at the end of the day, I don't want to collect these ugly at home so much.. So one day I want to do it, the second day I don't.

If i can get rid of 1 m³ of existing material at home, I might get some motivation.. but stuff has to go first.

I also built an adjustable stool so I can rest a bit while using my equatorial mount and it's not bad at all. I can't sit on it because it will give me some lower back tension.. (even pain) but I can squat on it without problems. 80% of my weight is still on my feet but at least there is an interesting little support there with the stool, it will stabilize my position at the eyepiece too.

That's about it.. I have my 13% Orion Moon filter (the give away filter) it's going to be a very useful filter for me, quality, not bad.