Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Nebula's Astronomy Den

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Nebula, Feb 2, 2018.

Nebula's Astronomy Den

Started by Nebula on Feb 2, 2018 at 8:12 PM

567 Replies 74267 Views 5 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

That's precisely why I maintain the 'Miles-O'-Files.' But the Celestron Mars-Filter images - I just took these. under somewhat different condition than the others as this is a new computer. So they are a bit smaller than the others, but they get across all the info as the rest. I'll go check on the Orion Mars-Filter images.

I suggest you upload all these images from here into one designated folder (File) on your computer. Right-Click and Arrange/Sort them all by name (alphabetize em'). Then you can create sub-sets of 'Mars-Filters' or whatever moves you!

Celestron Mars-Filter a R.JPG
    Celestron Mars-Filter a R

Celestron Mars-Filter b R.JPG
    Celestron Mars-Filter b R

Nebula likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Anddddd......

Orion #47 Violet Filter R.JPG
    Orion #47 Violet Filter R

Orion #58 Green Filter R.JPG
    Orion #58 Green Filter R

Orion #80A Blue Filter R.JPG
    Orion #80A Blue Filter R

Orion #82A Blue Filter R.JPG
    Orion #82A Blue Filter R

Orion 13% Moon Filter R.JPG
    Orion 13% Moon Filter R

Aside from a bit of checking and tidying, this is about all. Now pin a medal on me already! :p

Nebula likes this.
  3. Dave In Vermont

Ah! And here's 2 more that were hiding.....

Sirius Optics Contrast-Enhancement Filter R.JPG
    Sirius Optics Contrast-Enhancement Filter R

William Optics Violet-Rejection Filter R.JPG
    William Optics Violet-Rejection Filter R

They can run, but they can't hide (for too long...).

Well Neb's - I hope you liked the show!

R & D

Nebula likes this.
  4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

You are on a like frenzy, i promised a Like for every lightbulb ppublication, lol. This is like free cash pouring into your pocket. :D

What is "a R" "b R" ?

The celestron mars filter is very different from the Orion mars filter.

5. Dave In Vermont

The 'a' and the 'R's' are code for me to separate the originals from the 'Reduced' ones in size/weight in Kb's and/or MB's. so they'll fit in here as A-C has a limit of 2MB. Most of these series were over the 2MB cut-off. Oh yeah - the 'a' and 'b' are designations of difference in technical details like one was taken with greater (or lesser) amounts of ambient light in the area. Things like that. Any questions? Ask! :)

I appreciate the likes - which are utterly worthless, of course! :D Unless you're a power-hungry, sniveling with insecurity, ego-stroking douche-bag (moderator) micro-cephalic from (the DLM) SGL! Then be certain if they ever come over here again - to NEVER, EVER give any of them a 'Like' even if they should write something as good as 'War and Peace.' If they should write a 'Suicide-Note' - I suppose an exception could be made.....:p

My signature may also be confusing: If I use my trademark 'R & D™' - it means my alter-ego RAUL co-authored the article! :D

Glad you liked the images. I intend to replace the Celestron Mars-Filter one's. I want them back to my standard size. For this I need to replace the batteries in my little 'Canon PowerShot 1000S' camera. That thing eats batteries (2 AAA's) like popcorn! Expensive - but I think it takes very nice photo's. It has a quite large range of settings to choose from. Got it back around 2003. It's still working like a pro. What do you think?

R & D™ :p

ps - the Orion & Celestron Mars-Filter's are quite different. The Orion washes everything in deep-purple dye, the Celestron does too - but not nearly as much. And I think the coatings are different in composition. Rather like the differences between the B+W FL-D Filter from Germany and the TIFFEN FL-D FILTER, which is of US making. I think..... With the Celestron being more like the B+W one.

Thanks again go out to Gabby for turning me on to these 'FL-D' filter(s)!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. Dave In Vermont

My planned re-shoot of the Celestron Mars-Filter, among other things, is on hold. My local shop has decided to fail to re-order the batteries I need. They have all the others: 'AAA's, 9V's, D's, C's, etc. But not a 'AA' to be seen.

Of course!

But they DID have one thing I needed at that point: A reason to read em' the proverbial 'Riot-Act!'

7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I am back home after 3.x years.

Hello!

Orion25 and PXR-5 like this.
  8. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Welcome back Neb.

9. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great to see you back!

10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Hey hello!

Glad to see you guys again, I might add some reports here again, I like writing reports and it worked well here on AC.

So well there is a possibility for astronomy tonight so I will just mount my 8" Newtonian on my dobson mount and use only my 34mm or 24mm to browse the sky tonight.

Although the moon will be quite full to use a 34mm.. :confused: maybe it will be the 24mm instead.

Orion25 likes this.
  11. Mak the Night

I had a session tonight. The Moon was a bit bright but it was a decent enough session, considering.

12. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Hello Mak, yes the moon was quite bright for me too! I used my 34mm anyways but a lot of stars were camouflaged by the excess of light pollution caused by the moon. I went out with my 8" on the dobson base, manual but now comfortable, I looked at the stars of Aries, the star Mesarthim was a very nice tight equal double, with a visible separation at 29x.

Then I made this sketch of Alpheratz, the lowest blue star in Andromeda. The scene was simple with bright stars, not too many.. instead of doing no sketch at all in the cold...

[​IMG]

what did you look at?

13. Mak the Night

Looks good. I actually looked at the Moon for a bit, stacking Baader Polariser/Neodymium filters in an attempt to preserve my night vision lol. Later I looked at some open clusters and split some doubles. Highlights were the Klingon Battlecruiser, Owl Cluster, Little Beehive and the Double Cluster. I split Iota Cass, Cor Caroli, the Winter Albireo, Almach, Achird and HD 35586 among others.

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night

Hello you looked at the moon in Febuary with the Polarizer and neodymium ? I use occasionally the neodymium to help my dark adaptation also.

I am just back from the moon right now, mostly a daylight observation between +-20:30 and 21:20. I used the 23a light red filter to see if it was effective against the blue sky and it was surprisingly good? #25 also.

I made a first sketch with the 23a installed on the eyepiece then removed it when dark enough and made a second sketch without. 2022 is a very good year so far for the quality of the atmosphere, how is it in England?

15. Mak the Night

How's it going Neb? I take a Baader Single Polariser out every session whether I need it or not. They can come in useful. I was viewing Jupiter a couple of nights ago and even early morning it was bright. I was only using a 60mm refractor. I ended up using the polariser until it started to get light. I saw an Io eclipse recently as well. Warm here with generally good seeing.

60.jpg

I've had 83 sessions this year, 16 with the Altair 60 EDF.

Nebula likes this.
  16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night

Single polarizing filter is it the same thing as a 13% or 25% moon filter ? I thought about using my 13% but I reached for the #25 and #25a directly, there will be a next time to try it.

Cool for the refactor observation of the planets, your arm is a blessing after all, you can fully enjoy using the light weight refractors all the time. Simple observations but interesting.

82 Sessions so far, this is big. 2022 is a good year.

Cool little telescope the 60 EDF with the useful dew shield.

17. Mak the Night

No, a polariser technically 'plane polarises' the light, not unlike polarising sunglasses. The light isn't attenuated AFAIK. Light vibrates in all directions but a plane polariser only allows light in one plane. This reduces glare but not brightness (I think lol).

1.jpg

The Altair 60 EDF is quite effective for its size. I've tried it with 2" accessories but it's a little rear heavy.

3.jpg

So I just use it with 1.25" stuff now. Plus I now use the lighter and smaller red dovetail.

4.jpg

It has very good optics (FPL 53/lanthanum) with an excellent Strehl number.

strehl.jpg

I'd actually stopped using it for six months as it was getting too heavy as a light grab and go with 2" accessories.

5.jpg

The black dovetail (above) was an extra from Altair. Its weight helps with balance. I decided to go with the lighter X-ring dovetail.

6.jpg

It's very photogenic. :cool:

18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night I agree it's a very good looking telescope with the red stripes and anodized.

Is it working with some weight on the front for 2" accessories? (even if it defies the principle of lowering the overall weight)

Looks like a fantastic low power instrument also.

19. Mak the Night

I think they're aimed at AP. So the focuser is a heavy R&P. It also has a rotatable collar. It's OK with the heavier dovetail but I find it unbalanced on the AZ5 with my disability. Using a heavier mount/tripod kinda defeats the idea of a light grab and go.

20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Yeah you better stick with what's work, light weight.

I'll have to read about STREHL don't have a clue about the meaning of the number there 0.961, it's probably meaning something pretty good.