Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Orion E-Series 7-21mm Zoom

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Mak the Night, Dec 22, 2021.

Orion E-Series 7-21mm Zoom

Started by Mak the Night on Dec 22, 2021 at 3:49 PM

6 Replies 1454 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

1.jpg

I bought the Orion E-Series 7-21mm Zoom for £56.99. There are other zooms that appear identical to this eyepiece selling under other brand names. They undoubtedly originate from the same OEM. There doesn’t seem to be a great difference in their respective retail prices. The first thing that I noticed with the Orion ‘E-Series’ was how physically light it was.

2.jpg

The Orion website says it is 136g (although I weighed it at 150g) which would make it around 20-25g lighter than my unbranded ‘Sky-Watcher’ 7-21mm zoom of almost identical proportions. The E zoom is 94mm tall, 43mm wide, and I make the eye lens and field lens 25mm and 16mm respectively. Orion Telescopes and Binoculars claim a 16mm field stop. They also state that there are six elements with a 40.0° - 57.0° FOV and the lens edges aren’t blackened.

3.jpg

The housing and barrel are aluminium and the barrel has an undercut and a filter thread. The coatings seem fine and the other thing that I noticed is that it doesn’t seem to rattle as much as its ‘Sky-Watcher’ equivalent. In the past I haven’t had much success with 7-21mm (or thereabouts) zooms. The ‘Sky-Watcher’ 7-21mm zoom was prone to a bit more chromatic aberration than I can generally tolerate. My Pentax XF zoom (6.5-19.5mm) also displays some lateral colour on lunar and planetary targets.

4.jpg

At around 22:15 BST on the 27th of May there weren’t many twilight stars to observe. The transparency was decidedly below average, although according to some of my software the seeing was predicted to be good. I got first light with the E-Series zoom placed in a 3x BST Barlow with my modified ST80. This gave a range of around 57x to 171x. The target was a very visible Arcturus; the fourth brightest star in the sky. The rubber eyecup isn't easily folded down or removed but the overall ergonomics were satisfying. I found that the eyepiece was pleasant to use with no eye placement issues.

5.jpg

My first impression was that it was showing some chromatic aberration. I rapidly realised that this was a combination of the 0.2 magnitude of ‘ɑ Bootis’ and the fact that I was using an inexpensive achromat. I had a quick look at Vega, the fifth brightest star in the sky, and patiently waited for the night to get darker. As soon as I could discern ε Bootis through the poor transparency I decided to try and split it. The anxieties I had earlier about false colour were abated. The split at around 160x was very sharp and apparent. It appeared like the Orion had an acuity superior to my Celestron zoom. The magnitude 4.7 binary companion was very distinct and the colours of both stars were quite striking. I thought that the zoom mechanism itself was fairly smooth and precise. There is no clickstop indicator.

6.jpg

I then tried Cor Caroli which is an old favourite of mine. I was still impressed by the overall clarity and colour separation from a zoom in this price range. Next up were a rising Albireo and ε 1 & 2 Lyrae. The seeing may have been better than the transparency as the ‘Double Double’ was a particularly effortless split. All four stars were cleanly and sharply split even at around only 100x magnification. At 170x they were still incredibly bright and acute. I spent the next hour splitting other doubles until it inevitably clouded over.

7.jpg

I initially purchased this zoom primarily for double star observing while placed in a Barlow. It hasn’t disappointed me. The combination of light weight, relatively comfortable ergonomics, and visual acuity seems to belie its competitive retail price.

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

[​IMG]

Identical twins!

3. Mak the Night

Also works very well with the Baader 2.25x Hyperion Barlow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I solved the eyecup 'roll down' problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The replacement dust cap is from a TMB clone.

4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great review, Mak. Thanks for your impressions. What do you think about the Meade Series 4000 8-24mm zoom?

5. Mak the Night

Thanks Reggie. I think it all depends on what you mean by 'Meade' zoom. I think they were manufactured by Vixen a few years ago. Although there are Chinese and Japanese versions of these. 2011 Sky at Night Magazine review.

1.jpg

The Meade 4000's are now identical to the Celestron and Astromania zooms. The only real difference between the three 8~24mm zooms above is the price. I bet they are all made in the same Chinese factory.

2.jpg
    These 'Meadeatrons' are only superficially different (the Meade barrel is aluminium as opposed to the chromed-brass Celestron).

3.jpg

The Vixen LV's are now made in Japan again.

4.jpg
    Although I had to return three of them in a row due to visible debris in the FOV. I also think they are hugely overrated, they have a smaller field than the Celestron/Meade/Astromania and noticeably lower transmission. There's nothing wrong with the 8~24mm Celestron/Meade/Astromania zooms.

6. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Wow. I didn't know there were so many variations. I've been using the Meade for several years now and have been pleased with it. I only have the old Orion Explorer II to compare it to though. You've got me intrigued about the Orion E-series.

7. Mak the Night

The Orion E impressed me. I like its small size and weight, although that's an advantage and a disadvantage. I don't know about the Explorer II but I suspect they were rebadged 'Sky-Watcher' 7~21mm zooms. The SW 7~21mm isn't bad but the Orion E/SvBony are a different EP altogether. Some have conjectured on whether it has lanthanum glass elements. It wouldn't surprise me.

TV.jpg

It was rumoured that these (now discontinued) TV zooms were made by Vixen.

Orion25 likes this.