Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Telescope Preferences

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by clintwhitman, Aug 29, 2015.

Telescope Preferences

Started by clintwhitman on Aug 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM

15 Replies 2532 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
Tags:
  1. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Well-Known Member

Me too. My biggest dob is my 16" LightBridge and my AR6 is my biggest frac. I like them all. I do plan on saving for an apo, it just hasn't been a priority.

2. Robert Clark

Actually the apo I have in mind would be a around a fast 80. Grab n go and very lightly dabble in AP. I love my dobs and achros. They compliment each other.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. Robert Clark

Also, I've not done ANY AP (other than digi-scoping) I do have a nice Canon Eos and would like to try it, but for time I've been in the hobby, it's been 100% visual.

4. NerdThing

NerdThing Member

My penny's worth: -

The best scope is the one that you use. Frac, Mak, Newt, Dob - all good.

5. Blueman

Blueman Member

Hi Clint, just same old stuff, been doing nothing but imaging of late. Thanks, good to have another nice place to go.
    Floyd

clintwhitman likes this.
  6. george

george Developer

I created this thread to pull out the off topic portion that was occurring simultaneously within the original thread. Here is the original post that started the conversation.

7. LewC

LewC Well-Known Member

I love all telescopes but use the ones I can afford and move around easily. I cannot afford the telescope in my avatar and it doesn't move around easily.

KeithF likes this.
  8. Auriga

Auriga Active Member

My main scopes are 8" dob, 6" SCT, and two refractors: 4" F/10 and 4.7" F/5. I find them all quite different and I'm plenty fond of each. I tend to use one for a couple weeks then switch to another, so that each time I come back around to a given scope there's a subtle "newness" feeling that I find a touch exciting. In line with what NerdThing says, my favorite is whichever one I'm using.

gustavo_sanchez likes this.
  9. gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez Active Member

I love achromats too! I tried to buy an Istar a few months ago, but the Istar people didn't followed up, so I bought other stuff. Now I am using an ES AR152. SCTs have their advantages for sure (my NexStar 8SE works like a charm) but refractors just look "telescopier" :p WP_20150513_20_33_36_Pro.jpg

jgroub likes this.
  10. Leslie Clark

Leslie Clark New Member

I love any scope that's paid for.
    Les

11. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

Sometimes astronomy forums are a little like academia - the fights are so fierce because the stakes are so small :). I like whatever scope is in front of me, though I admit I'm partial to Mak's and long f/ratio refractors (they look so pretty, and I am that shallow). Besides, it'd be so boring if there was a perfect scope for all situations - that'd mean we wouldn't get to spend countless hours and dollars buying/researching accessories and what not!

And I think its disheartening when a newcomer picks up a beginner scope, has some questions about it, and is told its garbage and they should have bought a Tak/Obsession/Questar. Honestly, a lot of the new beginner scopes are optically quite good.

12. coopman

coopman Member

I like all of my scopes. I am fortunate to have several to choose from. Sometimes my hardest decision is to figure out which one to use for the evening. I wish that there was a perfect jack of all trades telescope, but there isn't. Each design has its advantages and disadvantages.

13. sdtopensied

sdtopensied New Member

I have had several scopes, but have settled on a 5" apochromatic triplet. I find that the images are more pleasing to my eye than with any other scope.

14. cturek

cturek Member

I've been collecting scopes since I was a kid in the sixties. I've settled on what I think is a well rounded assortment of newts, schmidts, maks and fracts. Its fun using them all. My quest is over though after my recent acquisition of my first love - the RV 6. If there's one thing I've learned is you have to have enough scopes so the wife doesn't notice a new one. (It's OK because they do that to us with shoes and dresses)

And it is very frustrating when you read the flame wars when fanatics of one particular type argue with fanatics of another type. Totally senseless.

StaringAtStars likes this.
  15. BKBrown

BKBrown Member

Apo refractors for DSO imaging and pristine views, a big SCT for planetary imaging and hauling in faint fuzzy photons.

Clear Skies,
    Brian

16. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

If you can point it at the sky and see stuff with it; it's all good in my book. I own a large SCT, a small achromatic refractor, a Newtonian and a couple of Mak's.

The only preference at the moment is for the Newtonian, as it rarely dews over in this weather.

Auriga likes this.