Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

White Light Solar - December 19, 2022

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Dec 19, 2022.

White Light Solar - December 19, 2022

Started by Ed D on Dec 19, 2022 at 12:44 PM

3 Replies 470 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Yesterday I saw the solar activity on spaceweather.com and wanted to capture the sunspots. In the very short time it took to set up my DSLR on the photo tripod the clouds rolled in, later watering my lawn and plants.

This morning I took my equipment out and shot frames at different ISO and shutter speed values. Out of several good pics I picked out one of the best ones, tweaked it a little and came up with this image:

2022 12-19 Sun.jpg
    White Light Solar Image - 19 Dec 2022

Images taken through Baader white light film have a light blue hue. Processing intensified the blue. I added the sunspot numbers to the same image for identification:

2022 12-19 Sun Labels.jpg
    Sunspots with corresponding ID numbers

Ed D

Orion25, Mak the Night and Nebula like this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

You've got quite a bit of activity there, it was worth the efforts from what I see in these images. I was not aware of the blue hue of the baader filter, to the naked eye, the sun is white, but from what I understand here, with the Camera you will pick up a blue hue?

For my last sun observation I used the baader astro solar along with a #56 green filter on the eyepiece. I find that green is a good color to use visually on the sun.

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing them, it's incredible how this thing is a perfect sphere.. Nuclear fusion in the form of a sphere o_O

Ed D likes this.
  3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great shots, Ed. You captured some good detail on the sunspots. Very well presented. Some clouds wait until you set up to begin their onslaught, lol!

Ed D likes this.
  4. PXR-5

PXR-5 Well-Known Member

Very nice Ed, some nice details there.

Been too cloudy here, not to mention too darn cold.

I just picked up a PST from a club member, I have gotten out to try it yet.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    Ed D likes this.