Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mars Is Getting Closer! pt.2

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Sep 3, 2020.

Mars Is Getting Closer! pt.2

Started by Orion25 on Sep 3, 2020 at 8:09 PM

7 Replies 1181 Views 4 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

An image I captured a couple of nights ago! Mars is definitely getting bigger and brighter, and so far is showing glorious detail!

ASTRONOMY - MARS BIG MAK BARLOW (5MP) 9-02-20.jpg

Here is a larger version of the image with captions of prominent features:

ASTRONOMY - MARS BIG MAK BARLOW LARGE (5MP) 9-02-20 CAPTIONS.jpg

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

It's definitely getting bigger and brighter. Nice pictures Reggie. I saw it last night for a bit, seeing and transparency weren't so hot, but I could see a fair bit of detail. I think the white albedo feature I often see could be high altitude clouds.

Orion25 likes this.
  3. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Nice image! I haven't given Mars a look yet, but maybe next clear night I'll stay out for it.

Orion25 likes this.
  4. Mak the Night

I had the Starwave all set up last night as the weather was good. I had a four hour session which in the main was pretty good.

CzaHxNm.jpg

I had a load of filters and stuff for Mars but the seeing was very dodgy. I got a hint of the polar cap, some albedo features and possible high altitude clouds and then the image really boiled. The southern ice cap appears to be shrinking. I don't know what freaked out the air/seeing but I really couldn't see anything after a while so it was a case of 'that's all she wrote'. Honestly, I could have murdered that seeing lol.

Orion25 likes this.
  5. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Virgo the virgin would cringe at your video.

6. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice looking set up. I noticed that the polar cap seems to be shrinking, too. It was prominent just a few weeks ago. I think Mars has entered summer in the Martian southern hemisphere. Maybe, that's why the polar cap is shrinking. I've been playing hide and seek with cloud lately but have gotten some good moments with Mars over the past few weeks. Good seeing is a must, lol. Wow, I haven't seen that video in ages!

Mak the Night likes this.
  7. Mak the Night

Yeah, well, she's been around a long time. I'm not so sure of her claims of virgo intacta anymore. ;)

squeege3000 likes this.
  8. Mak the Night

Thanks Reggie, I nearly took the 80ED DS Pro out but discovered the MoonLite was a bit borked.

4.jpg

The retailer says I can have my money back, so I'll use that and a bit more for a FeatherTouch I think.

80plusswfoc.jpg

Meanwhile I've put the Sky-Watcher (probably Long Perng) rotating focuser on it.

B4BtmrR.jpg

Best thing is that it fits in the bloody case! lol

I think you're right about the Martian southern hemisphere approaching summer. I believe Mars has a similar axial tilt to the Earth. It's pretty cool that we can observe the polar cap melting though.

33 days until oppo'.

Orion25 likes this.