Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mars Post-Perigee

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Oct 8, 2020.

Mars Post-Perigee

Started by Orion25 on Oct 8, 2020 at 3:51 PM

10 Replies 1555 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Mars from October 7, 2020, the evening after its closest approach, using the ZWO ASI 221MC planetary camera, the Celestron 2x Barlow lens and the Orion StarMax 127mm Mak-Cass telescope.

ASTRONOMY - MARS BIG MAK BARLOW (ZWO) 10-07-20.jpg

Scopejunkie and Mak the Night like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Ooh nice view of Syrtis! I just got 360x on Mars for an hour. I was a bit gobsmacked at getting 60x per inch. Of course, clouds came in from the west ... as usual. Thirty minutes before transit.

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Thanks, Mak. I'm starting to use my ZWO ASI224MC more, now that I've learned how to tweak the software. I was really pleased with this capture. I'm glad I got it, too - just in time for another hurricane to hit the gulf and bring cloud and showers for the weekend! I hope I can get a peak at opposition!

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Wow, Reggie! I have been looking at your Mars images and you have been doing a great job imaging the red planet this apparition. Also, glad you're getting the hang of using your ASI220MC. They're great planetary cams.

Ed

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Mak the Night

The weather's decidedly October-ish here too, so I can only hope it's OK for the oppo'. Either way, Mars has certainly made up for 2018.

It was certainly big at 360x.

Orion25 likes this.
  6. Orion25

Yes, Mars is incredible at high mags. I typically observe it between 300-340x using either my 127mm Mak (1540mmFL,
    9mm EP with 2x barlow) or my 180mm Mak (2700mmFL with 9mm EP). I'm glad you're able to get in some good views

7. Orion25

Thanks, Ed. I think it excels with larger aperture scopes and very bright objects. I plan on using it a lot more often!

8. Mak the Night

I can often get around 320x with the Newtonian on the Moon, but 360x surprised me.

67jhlGM.jpg

My TV 2x Barlow won't reach focus with the 150mm Newtonian. A while ago I bought this Vixen Deluxe 2x Barlow, initially for another scope, but also hoping it might work with the 150mm. I used it in conjunction with a 5mm Vixen SLV to get 360x. Autumn can often have very good seeing where I live, the autumn season also tends to bring the dew though. Luckily the Newtonian doesn't suffer from this predicament, although I had to dry off the finder field and eye lens occasionally. Good luck in five days for the oppo'.

Orion25 likes this.
  9. Mak the Night

I had another Mars session last night until transit (01:11 BST) but the transparency wasn't good. I didn't even have any glare problems, so I got a subdued 257x. It's not looking good weather-wise here for the oppo'. I hope you have clear skies Reggie.

10. Orion25

Sorry things aren't looking up for you; but at least Mars is going to look great all month. Things are set to clear my way just in time. HOORAY! I'm planning on putting my ZWO to work and also getting in some quality observing with/without my filters. I'll keep you posted!

11. Mak the Night

Good luck, keep posting those pictures. Sunday night's looking better for me anyway.

Orion25 likes this.