Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Red Light District

Discussion in 'All Other Observing Equipment' started by Pleiades, Aug 1, 2018.

Red Light District

Started by Pleiades on Aug 1, 2018 at 7:37 AM

2 Replies 1262 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I got up early this morning to see if by any chance there was a clear gap in the cloud cover. No such luck. But I made my pit stop off by the bathroom, trying to keep all the lights off. This not only preserves my night vision, but also keeps my wife from going rabid. Then, it hits me. The little red Christmas light bulbs will fit the bathroom nightlight!! And, while i'm at it, I can place a few more of these along my path to the porch, so I don't stub my toe on anything.

Hmm. I now wonder if I can find Red flood bulbs for the back porch?

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

They do make 'em. I've seen those at my local Rite Aid/Walgreen's. But you might find the smaller red-fluorescent light-bulbs sufficient. Red bulbs put out a surprising amount of light. And the fluorescent light-bulbs last years.

3. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Awesome. I wonder if they make them in a flood light style and also florescent? I'll have to check. My viewing is a good 50 yards from the deck. Oddly, the floods arn't exactly for me. One problem I have is that I sneak out, and my dog forgets that I am out there. She then sees me in the field at night and starts with the insane barking. The red headlamp seems to make this worse. By the time I close the 50-60 yards and get back to the porch, there is an angry wife alongside the dog. I wonder if the dog could even see me in the flow of a red flood light?