Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSilver">Discussion Skywatcher Star Discovery 150P - Plastic Newtonian Goto

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by aeajr, Jan 23, 2016.

Skywatcher Star Discovery 150P - Plastic Newtonian Goto

Started by aeajr on Jan 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM

11 Replies 9785 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

I came across this package from Skywatcher, the Star Discovery 150P. Not sure if there are others in the line.
    http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

It seems to be a relatively new product. What caught my attention was that this is a Newtonian reflector made of ABS plastic. There is no provision for collimation of the primary mirror as it is considered collimated for life. There is collimation capability of the secondary mirror. The mount seems to have some nice features too and can accommodate cameras as well as telescopes.

It is a GoTo but you can move the scope around manually without losing alignment. I thought that was a cool feature. I have not seen that before except on the Orion G series Dobs and I think Orion has a line of EQ GoTo mounts that can do this too.

I am not in the market to buy one but I was so surprised by the plastic tube and no collimation that I went looking for it on the USA sites. I don't see it. It only seems to be available from UK retailers.

I know that sometimes the same scope is sold under different brands in different countries. Is this one available under a different brand and name in the USA? I looked at it and thought that if I was getting my first scope this might be one that I would want. Perhaps even as a second scope after a small refractor.

Basic overview - promo video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6FGsyqTFac

This is a very detailed video overview.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhhs65AWdCk

Review article
    http://astronomynow.com/2015/04/22/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p-newtonian/

Manual
    https://www.skywatcher.com/downloads/Star_Discovery_Manual_SL26032014_V1.pdf

Anyone have one of these?

I am real interested in the field experience with this plastic, no collimation, design. Also interested if it is available under another label from a USA supplier.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. george

george Developer

I would have to ask about this on Monday, but from my understanding there are quite a few Sky Watcher products not available to USA dealers. I believe Sky Watcher in general is bigger in Europe than it is here. Only recently has there been a bigger push to bring Sky Watcher to the States.

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

You've noticed this too, eh George? I've been watching this development closely. Skywatcher makes some very equipment - or brands them with the SW name. And their prices can give Celestron and Meade, and Orion, a run for their money. And we'll be the beneficiaries of any impending price-wars. So it's all good in my book.

Thank you, Ed, for posting this good review. I'll be adding it to my archives up here in my snow-bank...er...files.

Dave

4. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

The 150 is actually available - its just rebranded as an Orion scope for whatever reason.

5. Dave In Vermont

That's very good info, Diogenes - thank you! Is this the critter?

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...11/sc/339/p/113917.uts?refineByCategoryId=339

It's a little cheaper across the pond at FLO in the UK: £349 is about$530. Orion is begging around $580. My only major concern is the use of plastic. As a chemist, I know that plastic is actually a liquid at higher temperatures - but not as high a temperature as metal or glass. So I'd be wanting to know exactly what type of plastic (polymer) is being used. I'd suspect it's a newer version of a more well-known polymer. Why? The reason being that it hasn't been employed sooner for this application. Entertaining this sort of thought-process is one of the pitfalls of being a scientist. LOL!

If this turns out to be the case, this sort of telescope may be the first-shot of many more plastic telescopes.

Fascinated -

Dave

george likes this.
  6. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

I imagine it is basically the same, there may be differences in the specific alignment methodology depending on whatever legal issues there are.

Orion does have a tendency to mark things up compared to their Skywatcher counterparts - you can see a direct comparison between the Skywatcher Mak's and the Orion Mak's. Only difference is the Skywatchers are better suited for astronomical use, but they're across the board cheaper.

It's a little odd that the 150MM's don't seem to have any way to collimate the primary. My first instinct is to be a little leery of a f/5 with no way to collimate it, but I have to imagine the people at Skywatcher know what they're doing.

The biggest hurdle to plastic, once you get past the thermal expansion problems vs metal/aluminium, is the bias we have against it. We equate plastic with cheap, I admit I'm rather biased in that regard, I like my wood gun stocks, even though I know that a well made composite is more durable and lighter.

george likes this.
  7. Dave In Vermont

Let's see here.....Collimating a Mak... Ah! Here it is!

http://www.weasner.com/etx/warnings/collimation-warning.html

Me thinks I'll duck that bullet.

As for Orion, that's where I first learned the concept that if you write "Astro" in front of something you sell - you'll be able to get 2X the money for the product. LOL! I call it: Astronomical Economics 101.

I like Skywatcher. Good stuff at lower cost than most.

"Plastic, young man. Plastic! That's the FUTURE!" - from the film "The Graduate"

Dave

ConfigRouter2 likes this.
  8. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

Actually, I was referring to collimating the 150MM - I've collimated a couple of Maks, so I guess I know how to, though I wouldn't say I'm "comfortable" with the procedure. As far as I can tell, I don't think you can adjust the primary in the 150MM.

9. Dave In Vermont

Apparently there is a way to collimate the 150's primary. Take a wander over to Stargazer'sLounge and do a look. There was just a thread on this issue. I didn't bother to commit same to memory. But it's findable. It's on the Skywatcher as Orion over in the UK is a different animal than our US Orion. But Synta is Synta.

Dave

Diogenes likes this.
  10. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

No, I don't think that Orion is the same telescope. In the "specs" section and in the "in the box" section, they both specifically refer to a collimation cap being included. The Orion is different from the Skywatcher because of this.

But that raises the question - why can't all newtonians be made like this: with permanent collimation? If they can do it on this, they can do it on any newt.

11. Dave In Vermont

I'd say the jury is still out on how long these remain in collimation, or if you bump them about - will that throw them out and cause a need to collimate them? I don't know. But I actually enjoy collimating my 200mm F/4. So it's not an issue to me.

Speaking of which, here's an excellent article that has helped a lot of terrified first-time collimators get through the deed:

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro babys collimation guide.htm

Enjoy!

Dave

StaringAtStars likes this.
  12. Eduardo Costa

Eduardo Costa Active Member

Hi!

This model appears by here (Brazil) through Store "Aramazem do Telescopio".

The telescope had do slim down to be moved by a small assembly as the Star Discovery. The mirror is thinner than the traditional SW Newton 150mm F / 5, the primary cell was oversimplified, and the optical tube uses parts of ABS.

It is a low-cost option, lightweight and relatively moderate size. The eight years ago, when I started making observations with optical instruments, what was cheap and relatively moderate size was PowerSeeker 127 Celestron.

Both models are inexpensive, lightweight, small, streamlined and impossible to have a high precision collimation.

The Star Discovery brings the advantage of greater opening, no negative lens in the focuses and Goto Mount (best issue).

I see Star Discovery as a better option than PowerSeeker 127 or telescopes sold in non-specialized stores. But let's be honest, not a telescope for more serious applications.

About collimation.... I had the opportunity to collimate two units. The twist of the tube at different angles of inclination is less felt than in the traditional SW Newton 150mm F / 5, but was unable precision better than 1/6 lambda by the central optical axis.

The traditional model 150mm F / 5 have an annoying tendency to leave the misaligned focuser between 44.75 and 45,25 degress by the central axis of the optical tube. This variation changes as the inclination of the optical tube and the focuser is above or below the midline (observer height). Adjust the primary to make up for it is a way to achieve better collimation. The Star Discovery does not enable this setting.

In addition, the mount is good enough for a Mak90, for example, but is at the limit of its capacity, even for a telescope that has been simplified. Put something more than a Plossl or a Wide Angle with few elements will made mount skating.