Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Starbase 'Orthoscopic Plossls' Revisited

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Mak the Night, Dec 24, 2021.

Starbase 'Orthoscopic Plossls' Revisited

Started by Mak the Night on Dec 24, 2021 at 3:28 AM

80 Replies 13991 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

You have planned this very well with your super lightweight telescopes, at least you can use these small telescopes. I sometimes think about selling my 6".. but, I'll keep it instead it might become very handy someday.

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I'd like to use my telescopes. Maybe in the future. I'm not out of the woods yet with my health problems.

3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night ok, are you able to observe a bit with a very tiny telescope right now or you need to stay in the bed or in a chair most of the time?

4. Mak the Night

Not really. It's getting colder which can seriously affect my blood pressure. I'll have to see in a couple of weeks.

5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night ah, i am very sorry for you.. you like observing so much.

it will come back.

I bought myself a laptop today, a Acer Aspire 3 with a i3 Core 10th generation, on sale at 470$+tx, I just erased Windows 11 and installing Linux right now, it's going to be my portable multimedia station. with the HDMI output, i can connect on the television and stream anything from Rumble, Bitchute.

My old Del Latitude D610 is 14 years old +- but still kicking! :) playing a Mp3 uses 15% of processor, it was time for an upgrade.

6. Mak the Night

I had to call paramedics today and went to Accident & Emergency. They don't think I had a stroke. I'm still not out of the woods.

Erasing Win 11 is the best thing for it!

7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night Gee ok thank god that this was not a stroke.. do they know what happened? I think they need to work extra time to give you another medication, all this could be caused by wrong medication...

LOL yes it's the best thing for Windows 11 hahahaha you start the computer and you have a woman talking to you, it's not even possible to set up the computer without logging in with a Microsoft account, on the internet. No internet = no windows, that OS is evil plain and simple.

I had not troubles formatting that 512gb SSD

8. Mak the Night

The doctor told me it was most probably a reaction to the medication, compounded by a lack of sleep immediately before it happened. I feel better now.

I'm so glad I switched to Mac and Ubuntu several years ago. Win 7 wasn't bad. Anything after that is a train wreck.

Nebula likes this.
  9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night these are good news, great! glad to hear that your feel better now.

I will never buy anything Mac, nothing works for me with their piercings and repairing their devices is too complicated, it's good for other people then me. I still use Mint here, it's working very fine on the new laptop, I carry it around the house to listen to some various medias, mostly conspiracy theory. :D

I bought a 19' HDMI cable to hook the laptop up to the TV. That worked well so far except for this morning, it's required to deactivate the second screen from the "display" config menu BEFORE unplugging the HDMI otherwise it's crashing the OS seriously at startup (If the HDMI is unplugged)

The screen from the laptop is not HD, it's 1366 x 768, which is super comfortable for a small 15.5" screen, My work laptop is 1920x1080 for about the same screen size, but the windows content is super small in an already super small screen.

They say not to buy 1366x768 laptops.. and select a full HD instead.. I don't fully agree with that.

Same as with Eyepieces, I still think that 60 degrees is more then enough on any occasions, even with my manual telescope, 60d is still effective plenty.

I use my Xcel LX 9mm a lot with my Delos 6mm, both have difficult eye placement but the Xcel LX is easier to use then the Delos. The fact that the 9mm has a larger Exit pupil.. the views are super nice in the 2 eyepieces.

10. Mak the Night

Yeah, Apple are regularly "extracting the urine" as we say in my country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss

As a rule I get on with Apple computers, even if they are expensive. I watch a lot of Netflix on my MBA.

mac.jpg

I believe some Debian based distros have been plagued by bugs by being connected to TV's. I think 60 degrees is a good average, although I do like the 68 degree Panoptic.

pans.jpg

They are light as well. I have a Delos.

delos.jpg

It rarely sees the dark of night though.

Nebula likes this.
  11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night thanks for the idiom wiki hahahah :p

it took me quite a bit of reading to find the exact example:

"In colloquial usage, "taking the piss" is also used to refer to someone or something that makes a claim which is not in line with a recognised agreement, e.g. an invoice that is double the quoted price with no explanation for the added charge could be said to "take the piss", or likewise if something consistently misses a deadline."

:D
    Apple

Cool laptop even if it's a Appel, I prefer a square screen like yours more then a rectangle 16:9 screen, they don't sell these too much nowadays, the Illuminati decided that rectangle is better so we have to live with it. But I prefer a square screen for a laptop.

Cool you have a delos 10mm, if it's as good as the 6mm, it's very good! I remember your Panoptics, these are all good choices. 68 degree is my definitive sweet spot, 70 is wide more then enough in my opinion, a very nice AFOV.

12. Mak the Night

Yeah, Apple are extracting the urine on an industrial scale alright. I always wanted one of the very small Macbooks, but that was the smallest I could find. The battery lasts over twelve hours on one charge, better than my Chromebook. It's all metal in construction and the screen and speakers are phenomenal.

IIRC I bought the Delos after all the cult brainwashing on SGL and swallowed the Kool Aid. It's a nice eyepiece, but as I said, due to its weight and size it just doesn't get out. Although I did originally intend it for a larger scope.

Nebula likes this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night 12h for 1 battery, that is a lot, good if you can replace the battery yourself eventually also. At Best buy then wanted to sell me a 125$ warranty for 1 extra year only, saying that it's a welded battery and it would cost 500$ to replace it.

It's not welded.. it's a real joke to replace.. 8 screws to remove only and 1 wire to disconnect...

It's apparently possible to install Linux on a mac laptop, just read that.

I bought my Delos to get better eye relief and AFOV but I wanted to keep the ortoscopic quality at the same time on the moon. My choices were limited really for a 6mm FL, I was given a very good offer for a A1 second hand 6mm Delos.

It was way bellow the pissing Apple Price :)

With my 8" on the EQ5, I often pick the Orthos instead, they are easier for my eyes to handle.

14. Mak the Night

It's because it has the (UK designed) M1 chip that it's so good on battery. I doubt I'd try to change the battery eventually. It's probably bloody well booby trapped!

[​IMG]

TBH I was always more impressed with my Morpheus than the Delos, cheaper and lighter too.

I'm pretty sure Linux apps can be run on a Chromebook without side-loading. I'm not sure how though.

Nebula likes this.
  15. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night it looks like the M1 chip is quite revolutionary for laptops, but the Iphone processors are apparently more advanced in technology then any Intel or AMD in therms of performance per watt. I have to give that to Apple, they have the very best screen and possibly the best processors.

My main desktop computer is a i5, I am pretty satisfied with it. I installed a heavy duty air heat sink on it, it's capable of trans coding videos at 100% and stay under 80 Celsius, the casing is well cooled.

Never tried a Chromebook or a Morpheus!! I never read a bad review about these Morpheus eyepieces, it looks like they really hit the spot.

Do you still use your Hyperion Aspheric 31mm ?

16. Mak the Night

The M1 definitely works, although soon to be replaced by the M2. I still use the aspherics, when I use 2" diagonals.

Nebula likes this.
  17. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

18. Mak the Night

I might be able to change the battery one day in my Linux laptop. It was custom built for me by a company in London. There were two laptops that I had in mind. One company was in London, the other in Liverpool. The Scousers took too long to get back to me, so the Smoke won.

https://junocomputers.com/uk/

19. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Cusom built laptop ok that's interesting... They even have one with a RTX 3080 video card, I was not aware that it was possible to include that inside of a laptop! A RTX 3080 and a i7 the cooling system required is as big as the laptop itself, I really wonder how it's even possible to pull such a stunt!

I bought my laptop at best buy, but my desktop computer, I ordered the parts from 1 store and Amazon. Frankly I think they have better deal for the most popular parts on Amazon then any stores, I took my CPU there. At the store every popular CPUs were out of stock and they were trying to sell a model that was too expensive and unsupported by the motherboard so THEY need to be involved in updating the bios to support the CPU.

Not a big fan of computer stores...

20. Mak the Night

I wanted to make sure the laptop itself was guaranteed Linux compatible. Not all 'off the shelf' computers are.