Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Starbase 'Orthoscopic Plossls' Revisited

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Mak the Night, Dec 24, 2021.

Starbase 'Orthoscopic Plossls' Revisited

Started by Mak the Night on Dec 24, 2021 at 3:28 AM

80 Replies 14099 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Oh, the irony ...

irony.jpg

Even funnier; it's clear as a bell. :rolleyes:

2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

yes it's true not everything is compatible, I was lucky so far with Intel based computer, everything was compatible for me. At Best buy it's possible to return the laptop no questions asked in 30 days if something is wrong. I asked about Linux compatibility and there was no problem to take it back for a refund if there was a problem ((;

Fortunately it works with a i3 of 10th generation: Sound, blue tooth, Wifi, Ethernet, CPU graphics. Ubuntu based is impressive.

I have some problems with the output HDMI, when disconnecting the second screen, the OS has some problems living with it.. I don't know if it's the wire, the port or the OS.

I should check that out fast if I want to exchange the laptop..

3. Mak the Night

I've often had problems connecting bluetooth with Ubuntu. My earbuds connect with my Chromebook though, which impressed me.

4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night it's possible in fact the only thing I tried with bluetooth is a remote speaker, you know these cellphone external bluetooth speakers?

And that's all I have tried so far.

Fortunately I am oldschool computer user, never looking for the latest things available. A bit disappointed with the gaming situation on Linux, gaming is really a dirty gimmick, Linux is still 1 million miles behind windows today.

I would like to play fun games without a RTX 3080 but it's really a hardware things, paying for accounts, games that need extreme downloads of 60GB of content and much more then that. The game industry is totally dominated by Microsoft in my opinion.

I miss the old days of Nintendo and Sega where the video game industry was dominated by the Japanese. I use steam right now, need to BUY then download HUGE games, they don't work most of the time or are totally boring, I ask for a refund, it takes many days to get the refund from Paypal to Visa, I totally hate it, it's complicated to understand what's happening when I have multiple refunds and etc, they are slow on customer service. :(

But above all in 2022 a GTX 1050 ti is simply not strong enough, and a 250gb SSD is simply not enough for gaming. Most games are so huge, they are too slow to load on HDD so SSD is the only way to go.

5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Ah yeah, my casing is too small to have a RTX 3050 so a computer upgrade is required, most games requiring a recent video card also need a i7 most of the time . o_O

:confused:

6. Mak the Night

I'm just not a gamer. I don't even like Space Invaders. I have a couple of good chess programs though.

7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

You are lucky, these days I play Left 4 Dead 2, it's an old 2008 game shooter but it's addictive totally. You basically start from point a, pick up weapons and go to point B while killing zombies with 3 other online players. The game play is very good, it's a very fun game to play.

There are plenty of custom maps but most of them don't work with linux, they crash. I was told because my computer is not strong enough..

8. Mak the Night

I think I've used some in the past. I'm pretty sure there's a Google Earth for Debian based builds, or Ubuntu.

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I am not following you but there is a Google Earth for Linux, it's in the repository but in the past only the 32bit version was stable.

10. Mak the Night

There's an online version anyway.

11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I usually install Google Earth on my computer, the desktop version. I use that to find astronomy observing spots, I have enough sites now and not visiting any of them very much lately. 2022 was a strong year for planets and these can be watched them from home for free! (;

With the price of energy skyrocketing.. I do less trips.. 1.80$ per liters right now here, it should go over 2$ in January again so.... The planets and the moon are available from home.. but less DSOs.

My new 12" is totally amazing on the moon because of the amount of small things it can resolve,tremendously more small cratelets and rich texture in the craters, mountains, side of the craters... everything. I am good for a lifetime of observation and sketching from home only...

I hope that the situation of the world will improve soon.. it's better then medieval times but our world is still managed by the interests of a only a few, when they don't act like tyrants in open light it's livable but the last 3 years.. with the government of Québec and Canada were very very disturbing.

12. Mak the Night

IIRC Google Earth was a bit weird on Ubuntu. There is an online version which works pretty well on my Chromebook. It could be a beta. I only wish I could get outside. I can see Mars in the sky. Sometimes setting in the early morning. It's very frustrating. As for governments, the less said about them the better.

Nebula likes this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night I am just back from a Mars observation, it was wonderful tonight with very clean views. According to my map, I saw the Mount Olympus in the form of a lighter spot positioned at the right place.

Totally amazing.

You can't get out at all currently even with a small telescope?

Mak the Night likes this.
  14. Mak the Night

No, I can't get out, unfortunately. Well done for your observing though. I bet that huge Newt' was brilliant for detail. My Lumicons arrived, finally. Ironically too late for me to use lol. View Mars with yellow and orange filters (Baader Contrast Booster). A neodymium makes a difference too.

Nebula likes this.
  15. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

It's no secret that the RLT gives me a whole new view of the planets. It's extremely impressive the difference between before and now. I've got a good set of mirrors, some say the quality is variable for the Synta and GSO mirros.

I was lucky. (or maybe not, perhaps most of their mirrors are good too)

Cool for your filters, you will use them later simply, the 82a I think, what was the other? I am waiting for an E-mail for the disponibility of the 80a.. but now with the price of energy, the money might be saved for petrol instead..

Orange and Yellow, If I think about trying them on mars maybe tonight, (maybe with 23a the Light Red)

16. Mak the Night

I got an orange Lumicon, I wanted to compare it to the Baader. I like Baader filters, I use them a lot. Lumicon have quality Hoya glass though.

I think GSO mirror quality was a bit hit and miss a long time ago. I think they're pretty good now. I've read the same rumours on Cloudy Nights. I just think it's mostly bollocks, like all the other vacuous prattle, balderdash, blether, misinformation and gossip on CN.

Nebula likes this.
  17. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night I know what you mean now about the Hoya glass, it's pretty high quality! The RLT is cooling down outside right now, 2 hours like you suggested is the minimum to get decent views... With my 8" maybe 45 minutes, 1h to have stable optics but it's MUCH longer with the 12" 35mm thick mirror.

I don't have any other choice.

I decided to leave CN, too many unfriendly users, it was stripping off my life energy. But like you said, I read about GSO mirrors there also, pretty nasty comments too. It's over now.

18. Mak the Night

I left as well. Only SkySearchers and SGL are as bad, and CN only just edges them in vindictiveness and petty altercations.

Cool down is the perennial problem of scopes 200 mm and larger.

Nebula likes this.
  19. Mak the Night

An example of the spite, vitriol and petty vindictiveness from CN is when Huntley from SGL posted a link claiming that I claimed TV 2"dielectrics were made of plastic. I won't link to CN. Dave from Vermont had a lot of run-ins with Huntley on SGL. Dave thought he was mentally unwell.

https://astronomyconnect.com/forums/threads/2-dielectric-comparison.13095/

My reviews aren't exactly 'Bill Paolini'. They're more 'man Clapham Omnibus'.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/the man on the Clapham omnibus

The TV diagonal is well designed ergonomically. I tapped the bottom of the diagonal and pondered if it was a composite, not unlike A Tak' prism. I never stated that it actually was. Huntley started an entire thread about it. All the usual suspects contributed to the thread. In some sort of virtual lynch mob demanding that I was obviously stupid and that I needed to be 'sorted out'. One chap even joined SGL specifically to sort me out. He only posted a couple of times. Honestly, they acted like a bunch of hysterical little girls.

20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night My 8" is cooling down outside right now, Clouds are a threat so maybe later they won'T be any clear sky.. I'll leave it a good hour there with the eyepieces as well. The Delos especially needs a long cool down.

I hope for the best tonight for mars.

A real shame what happened with your thread there about the TV diagonal, as if these people are joy killers for fun.